Friday, July 8, 2016

Nathaniel Rateliff & the Night Sweats

One Liner: Soul revival masterminds who will hurt you with their live show

Poster Position: 5

Thoughts:  I saw these dudes do a taping for the ACL television show, and it was just about one of the most fun shows I've ever seen.  Read about my full review here.  More energy than you'll know what to do with, and just absolutely a damn good time.  The radio has been hammering "S.O.B." for a while, "I Need Never Get Old" was getting play, and "Shake" has been on rotation here in Austin for a bit as well.  Being that they only have one excellent album (2015's Nathaniel Rateliff & the Night Sweats), I'm just going to hammer those tracks for you to enjoy.  First, the original hit, "S.O.B.," which has 28.3 million streams.
The soulfulness of the tune, the humming intro, the breakdown jam, the recklessness of his voice, it just kicks ass.  Video is kinda cool too.  One of the best parts about these guys is that Rateliff had apparently been in music for years, but had just never been able to make it as a folky guy, but then hit on this retro sound and has exploded.  I love that, dogged success by going to something tried and true and making it sound new again.

Second offering is the one that they stepped to the stage with at the ACL taping, which just builds and rocks and requires some dancing.  "I Need Never Get Old," which has 6.9 million streams.
"I know that some will say, it matters but little babe, ah but come on and mean it to me, I need it so bad."  Classic sound.  So much tight energy.  You are going to love to see this one played live.  Because of Spotify, I buy so few actual CDs anymore, but I went out and bought this one as soon as I saw them play.  I needed the ability to listen even when in my ancient car.  Such a great disc.  "Howling at Nothing" ranks third in number of plays at right about 5.2 million, but I think I'd rather play "Wasting Time," which boasts some solid pedal steel.
Nice little country lament.  And because I just discovered this and enjoyed it immensely, here is one of those NPR Tiny Desk concerts that you can go enjoy.
Although the muted horns aren't nearly as pleasing as when those cats play without abandon and just flex, this is still cool.  "Look it Here" sounds freaking so awesome (the second track).  I respect the fact that they skipped S.O.B. and just played "Mellow Out" instead, which fits that space so much better.  And that slightly sped up version is tight.  In case you can't tell, I'm all in to see these guys play again.  You'd be a fool to miss them. (now watch, they'll be playing at the same time as Kacey Musgraves or something.  Don't do it, C3 people).

1 comment:

Joseph Cathey said...

They are awesome. That is all.