Monday, June 12, 2017

Melat

One Liner: Local R&B lady over hip hop beats
Wikipedia Genre: [not on Wikipedia, I'll go with R&B]
Spotify Says Similar To: Jade De LaFleur and Jordan Bratton
Home: Apparently Austin based.

Poster Position: 23
Slot: Sunday at 12:30

Thoughts: No bio on Spotify and no Wikipedia entry, but I found an article in something called Okay Africa that explains she is a first generation Ethiopian-American who grew up in Texas.  The article claims that her sound is very influenced by Ethiopia, but it just sounds like most other hip hop R&B that came out of New York, to my ears.  Not to say it is bad, just I don't notice some heavy world music bent to the tunes.  Her voice is the star on these tracks.  None of her songs break the hundred thousand stream mark, the closest is "No Bad News" from her 2016 album MeVen, at 86k.

That is the album closer, although the album opener, a spare showcase for her voice called "May I," that struck me more.  She seriously has a great voice, even if this is not my style of music to keep listening to.  She also has a 2014 album called Move Me, which has some of her other more popular tracks, including "Revelation 8:2"
Kind of a more traditional R&B tune.  FYI, that verse of the bible is "And I saw the seven angels who stand before God, and seven trumpets were given to them."  Can't say I can match the significance to that song, but maybe I'm just not deep enough.  These tunes are fine, just not my type of music.

Will I Go See Her at the Fest?  No.

No comments: