Saturday, August 11, 2018

Jungle

One Liner: Grooving funk soul
Wikipedia Genre: Modern soul, neo soul
Home: London

Poster Position: 8

Day: Friday at 4:45
Both Weekends.

Thoughts: I clearly remember their big hit.  I thought maybe they had come to ACL before now, but I'm not seeing an old review for them.  Guess it was just from reviewing their one album a few years ago.  As of now, only that one album, 2014's Jungle.  Here is the big hit from it, "Busy Earnin'."  52.3 million streams.
That is a bunch of people getting down to the neo soul funk!  A couple cool things from their Wikipedia page, the two dude who founded the group (Tom McFarland and Josh Lloyd-Watson) have tried to avoid being seen as the leaders, but instead just part of the collective.  I dig that.  Second, they have pushed for the songs to remain organic and based on real instruments, instead of just computers and synthetic instrumentation.  Also dig that.

The other hot single from their only album is called "Time," and like the other one, its got a great funkiness and bounce to it.
24.8 million streams.  I wanna dance like those dudes!  They have a few new singles out, which hew to the same formula for the music, so I assume they are going to have a new album out soon.

I've heard great things about their live show, both from the Internet and from one friend, so let's see what they look like on stage.
Looks and sounds like a pretty damn fun dance party.  This type of neo soul may not be the type of music I aim for on a daily basis, but for a live show good time?  May be the best kind of thing there is.  I think I'm in.

No comments: