Wednesday, July 7, 2021

Aaron Frazer

One Liner:  The secondary singer for Durand Jones and the Indications.

Wikipedia Genre: Synth-pop, alternative rock, indie pop
Home:  Greenville, NC

Poster Position: 15

Weekend Two Only.
Saturday at 1:35 on the T-Mobile Stage.

Thoughts:  An incorrectly-spelled Wikipedia search allowed me to giggle at the fact that "Aaron Frazier" is apparently an actor who is "best known" for playing Old Weird Harold in the 2004 film Fat Albert.  hell, yeah. I wish a guy named Old Weird Harold was coming to the Fest though.

But that isn't this guy.  This is the guy I mentioned the other day in the Durand Jones & the Indications post, who sings some of their songs with a pure and light little falsetto.  He is the drummer and co-singer for the band, and helped to form the band back in the early 2010's.  Wikipedia explains that Frazer released a solo album, but as he did so he noted that a new Durand Jones & the Indications album was on the horizon.  So, they're still doing their thing together.  Seems a little jenky though, that we're just getting the co-vocalist from a group who is already coming to the Fest to take up an entire slot.  We already have both the Heart;ess Bastards and the Tender Things, and Billie Eilish plus Finneas.  C'mon.

This is very old school sounding stuff.  Produced by Dan Auerbach, so I shouldn't be surprised, but it very much sounds like I'm listening to some 50's falsetto crooner singing about my everlasting love.  Or 70's - "Bad News" sounds like some classic Marvin Gaye.  Actually, that song freaking straight up rules.  I just got caught up into dancing around at my desk because this one has a stone-cold-groove.  2.6 million streams.
I mean, those bongos, that flute, the wah wah guitar, the piano chords?  Make me wanna holler.  Or at least bite my lower lip and bob my head a little.  Dang, "Over You" is also a jam - much faster pace, but it got me moving too.  Only the one album, 2021's Introducing...

Before that, he had a single called My God Has a Telephone, and the title track from that 2017 release is his biggest streamer at 26.4 million streams.
Nice enough.  Kinda milquetoast.  I much prefer the stuff off the new album that has a little bit more swagger and southern rock sprinkles on it.  Like the little guitar solo in "Can't Leave It Alone" is classic Black Keys riffage that makes me much more interested than a tune that is just nothing but pretty falsettos and barely existent guitar strums.

This is the kind of thing that I kinda rolled my eyes at when I first started it up, but as two days have rolled by, I've just left it playing because it's pretty great.  I wouldn't choose this over something I really liked, but I'd go check it out.

No comments: