Monday, October 3, 2022

Flora & Fawna

One Liner: this just made me re-watch that scene in Napoleon Dynamite where Napoleon first meets LaFawnda, and it is amazing

Wikipedia Genre: No Wikipedia, but pop music?
Home:  Austin!

Poster Position: recent addition

Weekend Two Only.  Sunday.

Thoughts:  They tried to sneak a final band onto the lineup card!  I just noticed this one while I was preparing the Schedule piece for Sunday of Weekend Two, these guys snuck into the Sunday opening slot - not sure who (if anyone) they displaced.  They are from Austin, and according to a KUTX article about them the lead singer is Lili Hickman, the daughter of local songwriting badass Sara Hickman.  She met Mason Ables, the rest of the band, at Spider House when both were playing in other projects.

It's not terrible, wait.  Their photo on Spotify shows three people in the band, but both of the bios I read are just two people.  I guess they just brought a buddy along to their photoshoot.  Anyway, it isn't terrible, just a generically poppy, electronic thing.  The first song has a good groove, but then the second song is nothing special.  Most of the tunes are at under 10k streams, but they have three that popped a little better.  The top one is "Slow Burn," with 42k streams.
I'm very curious why they have spelled their band name like that.  Makes me think of the girlfriend in Napoleon Dynamite - LaFawnduh.  There is also a band just called Flora Fauna out there, so maybe they were trying to differentiate themselves?  But that song is fine - nothing that really lights me up, just a good little groover.  It was even featured on the CW show Batwoman.  Which I did not know existed until just now.  The better one is their most popular right now - "Long Shot" with 33k streams.
The singer's look changed a lot in between those two songs!  But it is a fun little ditty with some tasty funk and groove.  I could bop along to that one for sure.  "I'm callin' shotgun."  The final track with more than 10k streams is "Pause," which is a pandemic tune with another funky little discofied sound.  I can't find much else about the band itself - most of the hits on Google are regurgitating the same marketing copy about their sound being "incessant, icy cool and modern."  But, while I very much doubt I'd be there for the noon show on a Sunday, this is pretty fun.


No comments: