Tuesday, June 6, 2023

Gus Dapperton

One Liner: Underwhelming bedroom pop music by weird haircut

Wikipedia Genre: Indie pop, bedroom pop, synth-pop
Home: New York

Poster Position: Level 3 (11) 
Both Weekends.  

Saturday.

Thoughts:  Brendan Patrick Rice was born in New York in 1997.  I was a junior in college.  He's now a flamboyantly coifed bedroom pop singer who goes by the name Gus Dapperton.  Wikipedia says: "Dapperton has received particular attention for his fashion style, consisting at some points of a green bowl cut, noticeable jewelry, eyeliner, brightly colored clothing, and thick-rimmed glasses."  Spill Tab, who was at ACL last year, left college to become an assistant tour manager Dapperton, so we have some ties to the dude.  BENEE, who has also come through for ACL, stars on Dapperton's current #1 song, just like he appeared on her one ginormous song - "Supalonely" - from 2020's Hey u x. TikTok hit, of course.  Very little in the way of history on his Wikipedia, other than he started college at Drexel and left to go tour.

First album was 2019's Where Polly People Go To Read, which probably has more meaning than I can discern as an album title.  2020's Orca was his other album.  But his most popular tunes are not on those albums, they are other singles tossed out along the way.  Such as his pretty straight-forward cover of Springsteen's "I'm on Fire."  But the top track is "Prune, You Talk Funny," from a 2017 single of the same name.
I just never have cared for this sort of bedroom pop stuff.  Maybe sometimes a song strikes a chord, but this never goes anywhere for me.  It's like the kind of song Napoleon Dynamite would make if he ended up in art school after high school.  He'd think it sounded badass, but it would be this jenky.  Second-most streamed is 2017's "I'm Just Snacking," with 52 million streams, but I also don't find it interesting, so I thought I'd give you the new single so that you could try that on for size.  "Don't Let Me Down" has 1.5 million streams and features our friend BENEE.
Honestly feels more like her song than his.  Still don't much care for it.  Feels like when I choose an artist like this, and I go just watch someone click "go" on their laptop and sing, it feels underwhelming.  This would not be my choice for the hour he will be playing.

Spotify started serving up similar things after I made it through his whole catalog, and I literally couldn't tell the difference.

No comments: