Monday, August 24, 2026

Aubrey Hobert

One Liner: Clever lyricist with a Swiftian vibe
Wikipedia Genre: pop, indie pop, singer-songwriter
Home: NYC

Poster Position: Top Quarter - Line 5

Day: Sunday at 4:30
Both Weekends.

T-Mobile Stage

Thoughts:  Her photo on Spotify gave me high hopes - she looks a little angry and deranged - but then the music kicks in and we are back on the synth pop train.  Her singing cadence makes me think of Taylor Swift - not sure how to fully explain that but it has popped into my head multiple times.  But, she is pretty freaking funny in her lyrics.  Singing about how she has a "fucked up face" in a song about how she is maybe in love with Joey from Friends?  Or singing that she wants to you sue her because she wants to be wanted.

She wrote songs for Gracie Abrams before doing it for herself.  Her brother is also a musician, Malcolm Todd, who was here in 2024.  I guess we have the family package here at ACL.  Her father was a producer on Scrubs and The Middle, so I guess they come by performance work honestly (and maybe have some nice financial backing!).  But he hooked her up with her first job, writing for Warner Bros and a Nickelodeon sitcom called The Really Loud House.  She had met Abrams through their famous dads by Hobert going to Abrams 5th grade graduation.  It is so deeply annoying that JJ Abrams threw a fifth grade graduation for his daughter that was big enough to include her meeting now-famous people.

So, her music is pretty limited as of now though, as she just has one single and then one album, both released last year.  Who's the Clown is the name of the album, and "Sue Me" is her top song and that initial single.  76.8 million streams.

Her dancing makes me uncomfortable, but the lyrics of the song are clever.  A post-breakup freakout of thought and confusion.  "I like to touch people" also makes me laugh.  "Thirst Trap" sounds much more pop.  Second biggest streamer is "Bowling Alley" with 21.8 million streams and sort of an Olivia Rodrigo confessional lite-rock vibe.

I like it.  Makes me smile to think about her considerations of leaving the comfort of home for the bowling alley party.  When I first started her tunes, I was not very into it, but her sense of humor has pulled me in.  I might go watch these in person.

No comments:

Post a Comment