Monday, August 24, 2026

Stella Lefty

Thoughts:  She is coming to Bourbon and Beyond, the weekend before Weekend One of ACL, so I recently listened to her stuff and wrote a review for that Festival.

Stella Lefty
One Liner: Unremarkable pop that borders into country
Wikipedia Genre: no Wikipedia, but this is pop [since writing that, she has scored an entry]: Country pop, indie folk
Home: L.A.
Day: Sunday at 2:45 (?!?!)
Weekend One Only.
Poster Line: Second Quarter - Line 7

T-Mobile Stage.

Thoughts:  Wikipedia took me to Stella Levy, who was an Israeli soldier and politician.  This is not her, as that lady is dead.  This gal is an odd sound, where at times I think this is country with drum machines, and then at times I think it is just pop music.  And I don't love it, but the (probably AI-written) article I just read about her is hyperbolic in its praise: "Everything about this EP doesn’t just make Stella Lefty feel like she’s one of pop music’s most promising rising acts; it makes her takeover feel all but inevitable. You’re running out of time to be an early fan, after all, so check out Tragic, Really before it’s too late."  HER TAKEOVER IS INEVITABLE!!!

Another article claims she is a student at Tulane University.  That would be really weird, if true, for her to go play big shows over the weekend and then head back to her Econ class on Monday morning.  But pretty limited article numbers out there about her - I'm sure it is because she is young and cool and those people don't want to read an article, they want to watch a TikTok to learn more about her.  And I refuse to do such things.

About 15 total songs with no real albums yet.  Although she did get a song on the Scream 7 soundtrack, so she's doing something right.  Well, that is how my brain works - does anyone else care if a song is on a soundtrack?  Dunno.  Probably not.  Anyway, her top track back in April when I wrote most of this was a 2026 single with 16.8 million streams [now up to 45 million in July,  back in April, most of her songs were under a million streams but that is not the case now].  "Thinking 'bout you."


There is that country flavor - doesn't it sound like that could be a Nashville track?  It is fine - I'm sure the kids will have fun singing along to her when she plays it, but I will be on the other side of the festival for this show.

Now, in July, there is more information about her and she is blowing up a little bit.  The other day, I was on the back patio putting together a truly diabolical oscillating fan to try to combat mosquitos and my youngest had a friend with her in the pool.  When my wife asked for a music suggestion, they asked for "Boston" from Stella Lefty, which is now her biggest streamer with 96 million spins on Spotify.

And you may wonder why that one blew up with the teens?  I guess TikTok found her.  But also, sound is heavily built around a melodic interpolation of "Stick Season" by Noah Kahan, who is credited as a co-writer.  Pretty smart to take last year's most popular song among teens, re-jigger it to pop into their brains again, and profit.  She sort of sounds like a country-twinged Justin Bieber to me on that song.  Weird official video to release where she isn't even singing the right lyrics on lots of it.

Her real name is Stella Lefkofsky, and Wikipedia agrees that she gained prominence following the viral success of her country-pop single "Boston."  I bet her crowd is going to be packed with tweens.  Her father is billionaire Eric Lefkofsky, the co-founder of Groupon and a bunch of other companies I don't recognize, and has an estimated net worth of six billion dollars.  So, I guess it was a pretty easy road to hoe for old Stella here.

My opinion is still the same, I'll let the kiddos go party with this stuff on the other side of the park while I go watch some aging rock star fart around with a guitar.

Although, when I wrote the above, I had not seen that her time is 2:45 in the afternoon?  I don't love her or anything, but I think that stage is going to be insanely packed.

No comments:

Post a Comment