Monday, June 1, 2015

Twenty One Pilots

Yuck.  I listened to these dudes a few weeks ago in trying to figure out who was on the 6th line of the Lolla poster, and they have not gotten any better with distance.  I just tried their most recent album out again (2013's Vessel) and its still bad rap/rock/electro badness.  I'm doing a public service here, forcing myself to finish the album long after I can tell how that is going to go.  This is the 7th line of the poster! Fitz & the Tantrums and Gaslight Anthem last year!  Ugh.

I already showed you "Tear in my Heart" (see link above), so here is their most listened to track on Spotify, "Car Radio"
In a nutshell, bad Linkin Park poetry rap over a simple piano/drum, then some synths kick in too, and then it turns into an electro dance instrumental until the singer screams some lyrics.  I mean, maybe if you are an angst-y teenager and you want to mumble these lyrics to yourself while you think about mean people in your junior high?  Is that what is going on here?  Over 16 million spins for that track on Spotify, so someone thinks its worth listening to over and over again.  And then a lot of the other songs are much more poppy and dance-y, not so screamo.  I have no clue what this is supposed to be. I'd love to dig the bands this high on the poster, but I just can't get behind that stuff.

No comments: