Friday, August 20, 2021

Leyla Blue

One Liner: Powerful voiced, soulful pop lady with a great kiss-off song

Wikipedia Genre: No Wikipedia - soul, R&B, pop
Home: NYC

Poster Position: Late Addition

Weekend Two Only.
Saturday at 1:35 on the BMI Stage

Thoughts:  She's on the Songwriter's Hall of Fame website because she won a scholarship to the Clive Davis School of Recorded Music.  Killer voice - soulful belting stuff.  She claims influences from Amy Winehouse and Lauryn Hill, and I can see it.  She's only 18 though.

The big hit is a pretty good kissoff song for GenZ kids.  "What a Shame" pairs a power voice with some clever wording and a good chorus.  40.6 million streams.
"What a shame, baby what a shame, coulda been with me 'stead of whats her fuckin' name."  I really like, and yet also deeply hate, when she talks like the new girl.  Sounds like my daughter and it makes me cringe deeply into the crust of the Earth.  But it's spot on and I dig it.  Catchy tune.

Her second-most streamed is "Gasoline"  just over 4 million streams.
Another solid set of lyrics where it feels like I can really see what she is talking about with her man hiding behind his screen and avoiding her.  The angle of that video is making me ill though...

She's kinda got the whole package going.  Great voice.  Good lyrics.  I won't be at the Fest for Weekend Two Saturday, so I won't get a shot at her, but she's got me on her side right now.

No comments: