Tuesday, July 5, 2022

Glove

One Liner: 80's mopey new wave redux tunes

Wikipedia Genre: No Wikipedia, but this is some new wave, 80's, post punk
Home: Tampa

Poster Position: 19

Both Weekends.  Sunday.

Thoughts:  F'in' eighties, man.  I'm watching Stranger Things when I go home at night, and then during the day I'm apparently required to listen to 80's redux bands all freaking day.  I need to start drinking Tab and dressing in all Gap clothes.  This is some darker 80's though - not the bright pop of most of the bands that are coming, and more of the mopey, arty new wave stuff.

When you search Wikipedia for Glove (band), you get entries about Power Glove, an Aussie electronic band named after the Nintendo Power Glove, and The Glove a band made up of The Cure's Robert Smith and Siouxsie and the Banshee's Steven Severin.  Seems wrong that there was an eighties band named The Glove, and then these dudes can just show up and call themselves Glove?  But no Wikipedia for this band.  An article I found calls this post-punk, saying they draw from bands like Wire and Joy Division.  I don't know much about those two bands, other than Joy Division begat New Order.

My guess is that this entire band's existence was based upon a shared love for "Bizarre Love Triangle," because half of the synth riffs remind me of that.  2022's Boom Nights is their only album, and it has their top song (by a bunch).  "Behavior" boasts 356k streams (and no other track has more than 100k).
That synth riff is a million percent New Order.  Pretty catchy, totally danceable.  Also, grating on my last nerve after three listens.  The band started out in 2017, patching together a group out of the remains of another group and some other friends.  Their latest release is a collaboration with the wonderfully named group A Place to Bury Strangers.  I guess for the other track I'll give you a 2019 single that is their second-most streamed (some of their songs from the album literally have less than 5k streams.  This is weird.)  "Personality Change" with 92k streams.
Freaking weird, man.  I've been beating this dead horse for a while now in these posts, but don't they know we already did this?  Those looks, those sounds, the whole deal?  AND YES, I know I am a huge hypocrite, because the second that the Black Keys put out another nostalgia-soaked blues rock track I will rock it all day long with no reservations.  Or Greta Van Fleet!  But I just don't give the same pass to the 80's synth pop thing.

It's not terrible or anything, kind of reminds me of what the Strokes would sound like if they didn't have their rad guitarist, but listening to an entire album of this will take it out of you.

I'm good!  Y'all have fun!

No comments: