Wednesday, July 27, 2022

Siena Liggins

One Liner: Entirely forgettable pop R&B singing.

Wikipedia Genre: Pop, R&B
Home: Detroit

Poster Position: 30

Weekend Two Only - Sunday.

Thoughts:  Liggins was born in Detroit, but then moved around as the child of a military family.  But, her Wikipedia says that she had an uncle with a home studio in her grandmother's basement, and so she recorded her own tracks in middle school.  Pretty cool - I wish I had an uncle with a recording studio who could have hooked me up in middle school.  Maybe I'd now be on the 30th line of a major music festival right now!  Or more likely I'd have destroyed my life in pursuit of it and would be couch surfing right now trying to save up enough money to buy a whole pizza.  She started college and then dropped out to pursue music full-time.  Her music is "usually themed around her romantic or sexual relationships with women," including her top track, "Girlfriend."  She names her influences as TLC and Britney Spears.

Just one album, 2021's Ms. Out Tonight, which includes that one big single.  "Girlfriend" has 659k streams.
I wouldn't have considered Britney as a comp at first, but now that I've read that she considers Brit as an influence, this starts to sound more like a Spears track.  Nothing all that interesting in this one to me though.  It's fine, but relatively forgettable.  The other big single from the album is "Dirty Girl" with 609k streams.
She really likes that cash register sound.  Again, just a fine track - relatively uninteresting beat, a good but not great vocal, but not something that I will remember in the next twenty minutes.


No comments: