Monday, July 3, 2023

FKJ

One Liner:  Jazzy multi-instrumentalist doing electronica solo

Wikipedia Genre: Nu jazz, Electronic, Rhythm and blues, French house
Home: Tours, France

Poster Position: Level 3 (8) 
Both Weekends.
Friday.

Thoughts:  I don't know where, but I have absolutely heard that first song before.  Made me think he must have been at ACL before, but I'm not finding anything when I search his name. Ahhh, its because that is someone else's song.  I can't read so good.  This song is actually by Masego, who was at ACL previously, and features FKJ.  The track is called "Tadow," and all I can hear in my head is the Ice Cube lyric from "What Can I Do," of "tadow, tadow, tadow!  How you like me now!"  Instead, this is not a classic rap track, this is some smooth ass R&B love making music made for knockin' da boots.  372.5 million streams.

Smooth, laid back, cool as hell track.  But I have to say that the high-pitched interjections of "lady" or "dayday" or whatever he is saying, those get to the level of bugging quick.  Oh, that is him saying "tadow?"  The lyrics claim that is him saying "tadow," and yet that is not at all what it sounds like to my ears.  There is no "ow" sound, hell, I don't even hear the initial "t" sound.  Weird.  Cool ass jam though.  But I don't know which parts of it are this person.  We gotta dig deeper.

French Kiwi Juice, or FKJ, is a French dude who apparently does solo live performances where he plays all the instruments and uses his laptop to do live loopings.  Several of his tracks feature his wife, whose stage name is ((( O ))), which is deeply weird.  Is that a wrinkly butthole?  Is that fingers curled around a very open mouth?  Is it a dinosaur's eyeball?

He has three albums - 2017's French Kiwi Juice, 2021's Just Piano, and 2022's V I N C E N T.  His biggest tunes are definitely from that first disc, his streams fall off a lot from there.  The most recent album is a gentle vibe - kinda jazzy, but unlike anything I can really think of.  His top song on Spotify (other than that one above that isn't really his?) is called "Ylang Ylang," and features (((O))) for a chill piano instrumental that inexplicably has 113.2 million streams despite sounding like a Rodgers and Hammerstein interlude that has been remixed.
Ehh, sure?  Nice little vibe piece?  I have no clue why that would have so many streams?  I sincerely doubt that I will make my way to whatever stage this man graces with his piano, although I'm sure it will be a lovely show.

No comments: