Monday, July 10, 2023

Thee Sacred Souls

One Liner: Sweet, smooth, lovely throwback soul

Wikipedia Genre: No Wikipedia, but Soul and R&B
Home: San Diego

Poster Position: Level 3 (11) 
Both Weekends.
Friday.

Thoughts:  Feels like there have been a larger number than normal of bands chasing that classic soul sound.  These dudes sound amazing.  I've definitely heard one of these tunes before on local radio.  I'd also like to know what's up with the extra "e" in there.  I tried looking up why Megan Thee Stallion is styled that way, but the articles about her name don't explain the extra "e" they just talk about how thicc ladies in the South are apparently called stallions.  According to Urban Dictionary, the word "thee" is used when "it's the official one of something, and that its 'thee' original, rather than the original. It's a way of saying something is unique and unlike anything else."  Huh.  So these guys were apparently nervous about being confused with the other Sacred Souls, so they made it super official.  I can't find the posers who that needed to seperate themselves from, but we'll go with it.

Actually, it sounds like they intended the name as a partial homage to "Chicano rock heroes Thee Midniters."  So now you know.

For some neat reason, my work Internet will not allow me to see their official website, and they are not on Wikipedia, so I'm going to have to dig for sources.  Their record label's bio says that their very first club date led to their deal with Daptone Records, and their first singles grabbed big name fans like Black Pumas, Gary Clark Jr., Alicia Keys, and Timbaland.  I gotta say, "Easier Said Than Done" is so freaking smooth.  Just a lovely thing in my ears.  7.2 million streams.

Nothing especially new-sounding in that classic style recreation, but it is so deeply beautiful when they do it.  Buttery smooth and so very chill.  Three dudes in the band - curious thing is that they make it sound like the lead singer just does the singing while the other two handle all the instruments, but I hear bass, guitar, and drum in that song above, so they must have an extra set of hands somewhere.  But the whole catalog sounds like this - sweet soul from the 60's.

Just one album, 2022's Thee Sacred Souls, and in a weird pattern, the two top songs on it are both battling it out with 18.something million streams.  Top contender is the lead song, and supposedly the first song these guys ever wrote together, right after they met.  "Can I Call You Rose?" has 18.9 million streams.

Another smooth one, with some Curtis Mayfield-sounding vocals.  Just a cruising tune, so comforting.  I want to go drink beer at that backyard barbecue for sure.  "'cause your thorns won't let love in too soon, " and "cause your roots have the power to consume me."  Those are good stuff.  Like some of these other soulful bands, I feel like this show would be perfect to see in a small club.  But this looks to be the only way I'll get to see them for the foreseeable future, so maybe I'll check them out.  Great sound, amazing singer, lots to dig here.

No comments: