Thursday, August 15, 2024

promqueen

One Liner:  Overly cutesy pop/rap in both English and Vietnamese

Wikipedia Genre:  No Wikipedia, but hip hop, pop
Home: Austin!

Poster Position: 24
Weekend One Only.
Saturday at 12:05.

IMG Stage.

Thoughts:  I was really hoping that this was some sort of sarcastic naming convention and that this would be a heavy rock band using the name ironically.  No such luck.  It is also hard to find stuff about her online - Wikipedia thinks I want to know about a song by Angerfist.  Google thinks I want a song by Beach Bunny or Molly Kate Kestner (or several other people).  Prom Queen, where it is not one word, is a whole other band that also comes up, who have an album named Doom-Wop.  But I finally found her website - saypromqueen.com - to find out that I wasn't just hearing her use a different language, but that she is a second-generation queer Vietnamese pop/rap artist based here in Austin.  She claims to be a cocktail of Rosalia, Missy Elliot, and Doja Cat.  For me, I will say that she is a cocktail of "I Don't Want to Hear This Anymore."

Two albums - 2023's szn one and 2024's (wait for it, you'll never guess!) szn two.  Very few streams on any of this - most songs do not list any streams at all, and only one breaks the 10k line.  "out of my head" is from that first disc and has 14,760 streams.  655 views for this official video too.  

Like, some of that is not English, right?  Can't tell if she is just hard to understand or if that is partially in Vietnamese.  The overall vibe I would give this is a sort of cutesy pop.  Maybe that is what Doja Cat sounds like, I have tried to avoid her music, but it feels extremely disposable to me.  That is rude, and I am sorry for feeling that way, but it is also the truth.  I don't see that this one is going to blow up into the next Beyonce.


No comments: