Tuesday, August 6, 2024

The Tiarras

One Liner:  Local trio of sisters singing in English and Spanish

Wikipedia Genre:  No Wikipedia, but this is world music, indie rock, other genres I don't
know the names of.
Home: Austin!

Poster Position: 25
Weekend Two Only.
Saturday at 12:05.

Tito's Tent

Thoughts:  Before the first notes even play, I am guessing these are sisters.  YES!  I know things!  Tori, Sophia, and Tiffany Baltierra are sisters "pursuing sound without restrictions."  The Tiaras were a Canadian soul group from Toronto, but this band threw an extra "r" in there to become their own thing.  Actually, they used to be The Tiarra Girls, but recently switched because they are becoming women.

One of those discographies where I have been listening for a few hours but have for sure heard the same songs multiple times.  10 total songs on Spotify, and some are fully in Spanish.  Apparently, Tori is the singer/guitarist, and she decided to pursue music in third grade when she saw a teacher playing the guitar.  Born and raised in Austin, and their dad was apparently a DJ who listened to any and all types of music.

No real album, just a handful of singles.  "They Don't See Us" is the top streamer by far.  506k streams.

Even when the music is not in Spanish or sounding like Mexican traditional music, as it sometimes does, you still get a little edge of Latin flair in there.  This one is kinda funky and I like it.  They definitely can get more explicitly Hispanic, like in their second-most streamed tune, "Soy Chingona," with 100k streams.

Handy that they start the video with a definition, as I was just about to go find a definition and give it to you.  A Chingona is an empowered mujer.  She a bad bitch, yo.  Weird though, because google translate says that this means "I'm cool."  Quora says it means I am awesome.  Weird.  Also weird, they tell the important guy on the courthouse steps that they aren't leaving, and then they immediately run back to their car and drive away.  You are sending mixed messages, ladies.

I have honestly enjoyed listening to these tunes, despite the portion that is not in English.  Pretty good on the instruments, good voices and harmonies, I dig it.  I doubt I will be there at the noon hour on Saturday, but this is kind fun.

No comments: