Friday, May 10, 2019

Still Woozy

One Liner:  Mediocre electronic indie that reminds me of that awful "Gooey" song.
Wikipedia Genre: No wikipedia, google calls it R&B/soul, which I think is wrong?  Electronic indie?
Home: Oakland, CA

Poster Position: 13


Both Weekends


Thoughts: With that name, was really hoping for some drugged out rapper, not this dude making pretty basic indie electronic stuff.  I think I could make a great rap with that title - you can rhyme boozy, snoozy, floozy, cruisin', loosie, Lucy, truthy, ALL SORTS OF GOOD WORDS!  LISTEN UP LIL WAYNE, OTHER WORDS RHYME WITH BITCH, OTHER THAN BITCH!!!

He released his first single, "Cooks," in 2017, and Spotify stuck it on their Fresh Finds playlist, which catapulted him to semi-popularity.  He apparently still makes tunes in his own garage, recording all of the instruments and patching them all together.  He also claims to release his songs within a day of being finished with them, not belaboring the track or mix.  His Spotify bio literally just says "Hii [sic] my name is Sven. Still Woozy is my solo project, and I record all parts in my garage/studio[.]"  Mmmkay.

No real album, just a bunch of singles and a 5 song EP (released in 2019) called Lately.  That EP was actually released today!  May 3, so not surprisingly, the stream count on it is pretty low (except for the pre-release singles that are on it).  His top track by a good bit is "Goodie Bag," with 32.6 million streams.
Kind of a lo-fi rap vibe - feels like it could be a joke song, but I can't actually find anything that appears to show that he is pranking with this, seems more like he's just goofy.  Sound - maybe his voice - is reminding me of that evil band that sings the "Gooey" song - Glass Animals.  Hate that freaking song.  Crap - now that I've attached this guy to those guys, I can't stand it.  Doh.

"Habit" is on the new EP, but was also a single from before, so it has 12.0 million streams.
A little Alt-J, a little Glass Animals, and a lot of falsetto.  I am very opposed to this message.  My name is Jack and I do not endorse this message.

No comments: