Wednesday, May 29, 2024

Sir Chloe

One Liner:  Catchy alternative indie rock born out of a senior thesis

Wikipedia Genre:  Indie rock, alternative rock
Home: Vermont

Poster Position: 14
Both Weekends.
Friday at 2.

T-Mobile Stage.

Thoughts:  This jams.  I was not expecting much when I pulled it up - another pop singer with a twee name - but instead this is pretty enjoyable indie rock action.  It is not just one single gal, it is a five piece band from Vermont.  The lead singer formed the band when she was a senior at Bennington College in Vermont.  At 880 students, that is even smaller than the teeny tiny little school where I went.  BUt some legit folks have passed through those halls - Alan Arkin, Betty Ford, Carol Channing, Bret Easton Ellis, Peter fucking Dinklage!  Fascinating.

Anyway, instead of writing a thesis for her major in music composition, she decided to create a concert with a band consisting of her brother and close friends, and then perform all original music.  It apparently worked, and then a track from their debut album went viral on TikTok.  Since then they have gotten to tour with Beck and Phoenix, which is pretty major!

The debut album is 2020's Party Favors, and in addition to the big hit has "Animal" with 129.1 million streams.  But the title holder is still "Michelle," with 252 million streams.

I've never had to click an acknowledgement to see a music video.  Wikipedia says that she has cited Cage the Elephant as an influence, but it feels a little more like a St. Vincent thing to me.  I guess now when I meet a Michelle my first thought might not be the Beatles song.  Her eyes appear impossibly big.  They also did a cover of "Femme Fatale," which REM covered a million moons ago, that is great.

2023's I Am The Dog has no songs with anywhere near that many streams.  Like, nothing over 4 million.  But it sounds really good - this is "Hooves" with 3.7 million.

Definitely more lively, and I guess I can hear the Cage the Elephant stuff there more as well.  Or even Beck - the intro could be one of those lively Beck tunes.  Lambs are cute!  I hope they didn't crap on her couch!  That one makes me think of some 80's female singer who I can't come up with right now.  Souixie?  Looks like a new album is on the way, they have been doing one of those annoying rollouts where a single was released on 11/3/23, then that song with another song was released on 1/17/24, then those two songs with a third added on was released on 3/8/24.  Just release the damn album!

But, those three songs are solid - "Over Again" has a little Velvet Underground tinge to it and goes between a sunny sound and a dark undercurrent.  "Seventeen" has more of an aggressive burn to it, like they'd been listening to Nirvana instead.  "Home Where" is even a touch more aggressive and reverby.  I think these songs have a catchy pop sensibility while still being genuinely rocking enough to make me happy.  I like it.

No comments: