Friday, May 31, 2024

The Sinseers

One Liner:  Another redux classic soul band crushing the style

Wikipedia Genre:  No Wikipedia, but this is classic soul, Chicano soul
Home: L.A.

Poster Position: 17
Weekend Two Only.
Friday at 3:10.

Miller Lite Stage.

Thoughts: Weird.  When I typed in "Thee" into Spotify, Thee Sacred Souls was the first thing to pop up.  Who were here last year.  Who, it ends up, kind of have the same thing going on as these cats.  Like a classic soul revue sort of thing.

The most popular song makes me think of Steve Perry from Journey singing over a classic 60's doo-wop groove.  15.8 million streams for "Seems Like."

It is honestly weird how much I feel like this is Steve Perry about to start singing about his open arms.

No Wikipedia.  Their label has their "official website" link send you to Bandcamp, so that is not very helpful either.  But I found an L.A. Times article on them, which is helpful.  A nine-piece soul group from East L.A., who filmed a Tiny Desk show inside a flower shop on Whittier Boulevard (instead of going all the was to D.C.), they are remaking an old-timey vibe with Chicano soul music that could very much pass for 1960's tunes.

Cool visual, and a really nice set - their voices are silly good.  Their catalog is pretty bare so far - a few singles and then one 2024 album that repeats some of those singles but otherwise goes brand new.  Mostly, the new disc sticks to that '60's soul sound - the one exception I think is the instrumental "Talking Back" which has more of a snazzy jazzy surfer vibe going.

Overall, pretty cool!  Although, in my fully honest brain, I don't go seek out classic soul music to vibe to anyway, so why would I listen to new soul music that copies the old style I've let disappear into the past?  But yeah, I could see this being a nice way to spend a half hour at the start of a day.

No comments: