Tuesday, May 28, 2024

Eggy

One Liner:  Prepare for noodling guitars and extended jams, baby!

Wikipedia Genre:  No Wikipedia, but this is jam band music
Home: Connecticut

Poster Position: 12
Both Weekends.
Friday at 4:30.

Tito's Tent.

Thoughts:  Tasty jam band goodness that my wife would most definitely hate!  Tap it into my veins!  They have no presence on Wikipedia, but checking for their name led me to learn all sorts of things.  Eggy the Ram is the mascot of Ryerson University in Toronto.  Eggy is also a recurring character in the Penguins of Madagascar show.  The more you know, baby.

But this is a four piece band from Woodbridge, Connecticut.  Three of them attended high school together and formed the band about 11 years ago, before adding a drummer from an opponent they met up with during a battle of the bands.  Since then, they haven't been doing just a ton of studio sessions, being that they have one single studio album - 2019's Watercolor Days.  But they have been touring their ass off, as is evidenced by all of the live albums with names like Eggy Selects: Fall Tour 2021 and Eggy Selects: Spring Tour 2023, Vol. 1.  They have a few Dead covers in here amongst the action, which always tickles my fancy.

Their most streamed tune off of the album is called "Golden Gate Dancer," and it has a paltry 200k streams.

Yeeeeeeesssssss.  I'm not a major jam band guy or anything, but what I really enjoy in here are the harmonies with the vocals and the super funky bassline.  That is stuff that I can definitely get behind even when the song is 6:21 long.  Gimme that funky groove, baby.  Their most streamed tune is a live version of one called "Hux," with 850k streams.

This is not the same version as the one that gets so many streams on Spotify, but you'll get the feel anyway about this song about a dog.  That video quality is freaking awful.  And this song is not as groovy as that earlier one.  But I will say that I have just let these dudes play for two days while I work and I am really enjoying it.  They are not as catchy as Goose, the last big jam band that wandered through Zilker, but this is pretty enjoyable for me.

I had a thought to myself over the holiday weekend of how weird it is that I give a band like this a pass, when they are just copying the jam band sound from so many before them, but then don't do the same for the folks who are recreating 60's soul.  I don't know why that is, but suspect it has to do with the fact that jam bands continue to be current and in favor, while the 60's soul sound died out for a chunk of time before a revival.  Or maybe I just have biases.  Dunno.


No comments: