Thursday, June 17, 2021

Channel Tres

 One Liner: Mellow rapper who also happens to do some techno?  Yeah.

Wikipedia Genre: Experimental hip hop, Detroit techno, West Coast Hip Hip (quite a list!  why can't people just do one thing?)
Home:  Compton, CA

Poster Position: 9

Both Weekends.
Sunday at 5:30 on the VRBO Stage.

Thoughts:  Okay.  This is kind of fun.  I was getting worried about ever finding something on this poster that I liked but didn't already know.  This stuff is funkay.  Well, it's not all funky, but when you play the most streamed tune, "Topdown," it feels like I'm at a very exclusive pool party full of beautiful people who are ignoring a DJ who is playing this tune really hoping that someone will vibe it.  I'm vibing it, Mr. DJ.  I see you.  21.4 million streams.
I also dig on the G-Funk synths near the end.  Hell yeah.  The vibe of the tune in the background is both chilled out and danceable, which is odd, but cool.  And then the vocals are one step away from Barry White just rumbling in your vulva.  

Just one album, 2020's i can't go outside.  I totally thought that "skate depot" was saying "stanky boy" for the first several listens.  Which made me grin.  "Weedman" makes me think of that "then I got high" song from a long time ago.  Goofy.  "Alter Ego" isn't on the album, but its a kind of fun EDM type track.  The top track from the album is the one with Tyler, The Creator, called "fuego," with 5.9 million streams.
Cool.  Again, he's keeping the vocals down in a smooth ass register.  I've provided you with two tracks that both show the same vibe.  I need to play one of the other ones that sound different.  So, here is "Weedman."
Kind of like a Prince track mixed with that "and then I got high" track.  I dig this guy's flow.  SO mellow.  Funny thing is, a lot of the tracks on Spotify for this guy are more like EDM, while all of these top tracks are straight rap.

Guy's real name is Sheldon Young.  He's based out of Compton.  HIs Wikipedia bio says that he grew up in Compton, left for college, but then came back and a mutual friend got him in the studio making beats for people like Duckwrth and Wale.  I know I've already given you three songs, but he apparently blew up based on "Controller," in the UK and Australia, so let's hear that one too.
Another good one.  The beat is a little goofy, a little playful, but it's also fun in that way.  A little less seriousness is fun when his voice sounds so much like a tough rapper.

No comments: