Tuesday, June 22, 2021

Deezie Brown

One Liner: Bastrop rapper signed to Chris Bosh's new Austin label 

Wikipedia Genre: No Wikipedia, but I'll say rap, hip hop.
Home:  Bastrop, Texas!

Poster Position: 22 - bottom row!

Weekend One Only.
Sunday at 12:15 on the Miller Lite Stage.

Thoughts:  Local-ish dude!  And I dig the Screwed nuance to most of his raps - you can tell that he was raised on the Houston sound of rap.  But his Spotify bio claims that Smithville, Texas is the hip-hop epicenter of Texas.  I guess it is because that is where DJ Screw was born, but come on man.  The town where Hope Floats was filmed is not the center of Texas hip-hop.  Nobody thinks Smithville when they think of Screw, everyone just thinks of Houston.  C'mon.

No real album available on Spotify, just two singles and a 2021 EP called Geto Gala (Chopped and Slowed).  So maybe there is a version of this somewhere that isn't chopped?  Also, the album is credited as by Geto Gala, Deezie Brown, and Jake Lloyd, so this may actually be a group with those two guys in it.  So it creates a weird juxtaposition, because both of those non-Geto Gala tracks are pretty good, but they are relatively regular rap.  Then all the rest of these songs are chopped and screwed, which is a totally different sound.

So what that ends up meaning is that there are really only two songs by this guy on Spotify.  And if that is true, then it appears that both of those songs have Chris Bosh on them?  Chris Bosh?  Like, the guy who won NBA championships with Lebron and Wade?  Holy smokes, yes, it really is that Chris Bosh.
That was "Imitate," which the pair released on 2020.  It currently has 7,363 streams on Spotify.  Which is deeply weird, right?  All the weirdo NBA fanboys are just ignoring this stuff?  I actually like it.  I dig the line of stacking enough dough to make biscuits for the projects.  ooooooh, Bosh never actually raps on there.  He's just the producer!  Okay, so then all of those vocals are from Deezie, and I can more properly pronounce him as pretty damn good!

Here is the other one, "I Want It All," which also lists big Bosh as an artist.
Huh.  Weird that he's citing to Kobe so much when he's got Bosh on the track?  Can't you do a track for the guy making your beats?  You can't rep for Dwayne Wade, at least?

Looks like Bosh actually moved to Austin to become a producer.  Originally from Texas (just south of Dallas), he moved to town, started a record label named after his grandfather (Daddy Jack), and signed Deezie Brown.  By the way, Daddy Jacks is also a restaurant in Dallas, and we did an anniversary or two there back in the day, and it is awesome.  Nope.  Sadness ensues.  It closed back in 2017.  Damn you progress!  Anyway, Bosh's wife apparently suggested Austin, and he's loved it ever since moving his family here.  This little section of an interview is awesome:

"AC: How'd you connect with Deezie Brown?

CB: I read an article. My wife tore it out of a magazine. She said, "Well, you've been talking about working with local artists. Here's this article." It was about [KUTX] radio show The Breaks. I listened to the artists, and he became my favorite of the bunch, so I decided to cold call him.

AC: You realize how unusual that is, right? "Hey, we don't know each other, but I'm 11-time NBA All-Star Chris Bosh and I'm a fan."

CB: [Laughs] I always tell folks, "I know, man. I know. I'm just trying." I know this is probably strange and unusual, but you got to go for it."

That is very cool.  I like this guy.  I'm not sure if I'll be there for the noon slot that he is likely to have, but I think his flow is good and the beats are solid.

No comments: