Tuesday, June 15, 2021

Remi Wolf

One Liner: Former American Idol contestant who loves vocal effects despite a strong voice.

Wikipedia Genre: Soul, pop, funk, bedroom pop
Home:  Palo Alto, CA

Poster Position: 12

Both Weekends.
Saturday at 3:20 on T-Mobile Stage.

Thoughts:  Le sigh.  I was really hoping that, when I picked this band off of the poster, that I was picking some sweet guitar rock stuff. WOLF RAWK!  I was very wrong.  This is kinda R&B/hip-hop, mostly plain pop, with loads and loads of voice effects that make it seem childish.

Her only album is a bunch of remixes of her singles.  So, like, instead of a cohesive album of original songs, it will be two different remixes of a bunch of her tracks.  One of them involves Beck, although he never sings, and its pretty alright.  She never turns her voice into a funhouse mirror nightmare in that one.  In "Woo!" with Panda Bear she screams like Bjork having a baby.

Her top single is "Photo ID," with 32.5 million streams.  From a 2020 EP called I'm Allergic to Dogs!
Minecraft ass video.  With the song, the tune is kinda catchy when the chorus pops in, but her computerized vocal tones make my mouth turn down like a grandmother who just saw a nose piercing.  Sometimes I fear that I'm hitting the age when nothing new is every going to be appealing again.  I'll just have to die alone with my copy of Automatic for the People clutched in my sad old hands.  I like the funky part in the chorus, but I don't much care for the vocals or the verse music.

When she was a senior in Palo Alto, she appeared on the 2014 season of American Idol.  Let's see if her voice was intentionally grating back then?  Here's an interview.  No singing.
Loogit all that hair!  Here's a live video of singing from the year after that American Idol year.
Good voice - but she's still using effects.  her Wikipedia says that she was in the audition rounds of American Idol, and got her golden ticket, but then "without any formal dismissal, mysteriously didn't re-appear later on in the show."  MYSTERY!?!?!

One of her remixed songs was used in an iPhone commercial:
I actually remember that commercial!  Neato!

"Woo!" (the original version) is actually kinda funky and good.  "Hello Hello Hello" (again, the original version) has a little calypso feel to it.  "Disco Man" is kind of a groovy R&B jam.  But my overall feeling with each of these songs is that they are just SO MUCH.  Just bring me a plain ass song for once.  Actually, the most recent single is a little closer - almost an early Amy Winehouse vibe.  "Liz" from 2021.  68k streams.
Well, I thought it was a little more normal, but that is just the first section.  After that, she's still pushing it a bit too far for me.  Who is this Liz lady who is making you get so damn excited?  And skee-boppin' all over the place...

I wouldn't go watch this one.  

No comments: