Thursday, September 7, 2023

Amaarae

One Liner:  The most annoying thing I can think of on the poster, but with fun Afrobeat grooves

Wikipedia Genre:  Pop, R&B, Afrobeats, Alte
Home: Atlanta/Ghana

Poster Position: 3 (8) 
Both Weekends.
Saturday.

Thoughts:  Can I buy a vowel?  When "Co-Star" started playing, five songs into my first foray into her catalog, I finally looked up from my work and said "this shit has got to stop."  So, despite the fact that I need to get some work done this morning, I also can't just let this play while I get stuff done because my brain won't allow it.

Ama Serwah Genfi is a Ghanian-American singer who is apparently known for melding together pop, R&B, Afrobeats, and Alte music.  Two albums - 2020's THE ANGEL YOU DON'T KNOW and 2023's Fountain Baby.  Her big break came with a TikTok famous track from that first album, featuring someone named Moliy, that gathered up 35.7 million streams.  A year later, Kali Uchis jumped onboard for a remix and the song truly blew up to 360 million streams and high chart positions.  "SAD GIRLZ LUV MONEY."

The whispery, baby-like vocals just get under my skin from the first moment.  I can dig the groove of the background tune and the Afrobeats typo action there, but otherwise I do not enjoy it.  And you may already know from my review of Kali Uchis, her addition does not improve the tune.

She was born in the Bronx, and then was raised in between Atlanta and Accra, Ghana.  She started writing songs and making mixtapes, but at 17 she took on an internship at a music studio, and took voice training lessons (which is really shocking, because I want to meet the vocal trainer who was like "hell yea, we are going to train your voice to sound like a Muppet Baby whispering sexual innuendo.").  I am really struggling to keep it playing as I write - "Angels in Tibet" is currently making me insane.  One more song and I can run away - you can see how huge that one TikTok hit was, because her next top track has 10 million streams.  This is "Reckless & Sweet."
Run awaaaaaaaaay!  Run aawwwwwaaaaaaaayyyyy!
(again, I'll fully admit that the funky groove of that track is attractive to me, but the voice just drills into my head.  Stop doing that!  (of course she's up in level 3, as though she is a big attraction.  Stupid TikTok making it so that an artist with one song gets high billing)).

No comments: