Tuesday, September 26, 2023

Kevin Kaarl

One Liner: Apparently confessional singer/songwriter all in Spanish

Wikipedia Genre: No Wikipedia, chilled Spanish singer/songwriter
Home: Chihuahua, Mexico

Poster Position: 3 (13)
Both Weekends.  
Sunday at 2:15.

Thoughts:   I hate that I have this reaction, but the second that this started playing I was like - DAMMIT - the music in the background is nice, kind of like a simple singer/songwriter type guy - but Spanish.  So, I have no clue what they're going on about.  So, now I just want to get this review over with so that I can get to something that I understand.

According to a Rolling Stone headline, he is "the Reluctant Rising Star Making Introspective Songs About the Pains of Growing Up" and he "mixes folk traditions, rock sounds, and lush dream-pop on his impressive album 'Paris Texas'."  Another article says that he blends folk sensibilities and modern pop elements.  Nothing about this sounds like pop at all.  Mostly just a dude strumming his guitar and bopping along.  His songs apparently discuss his battles with anxiety and depression.  I wouldn't know.  He does have a buttload of streams tho!

Here is "Vamonos a Marte," with 310.7 million streams.
Yep!  There it is!  Perfectly acceptable, very low key tune in the background, and some lyrics over the top!  I hope everyone who speaks Spanish loves every second of it!

No comments: