Tuesday, September 26, 2023

Suki Waterhouse

One Liner:  Model and actress making forgettable bedroom pop

Wikipedia Genre:  Her Wikipedia doesn't list a genre, it just says model - actress - singer, but I'll say indie pop, bedroom pop
Home: London

Poster Position: 3 (9) 
Both Weekends.
Sunday at 3:15

Thoughts:  I can't hear the name Suki (or Sookie) without immediately thinking of Gilmore Girls and the first time I recall seeing Melissa McCarthy.  My wife loved that show a million years ago, and more recently, middle kid has watched through the entire thing at least once.  Very clever show.

This is not Melissa McCarthy though.  This is an English gal (partner of Batman/Sexy Vampire/Cedric Diggory Robert Pattinson) who got her start in modeling (like, a legit modeling career with multiple covers of Vogue and major brand runway walking), then an acting career that included one of the Divergent movies and more recently the miniseries Daisy Jones and the Six.  We gave up on that miniseries, but the wife and I both really enjoyed the book!

But in the midst of all of those things keeping her busy, along comes a few loosie singles that popped.  The first big one was "Good Looking," released in 2017, which apparently became a viral hit in 2022.  It was, of course, because of TikTok.  She said that she was working on getting her real record out, when this six year old song popped back up.  Apparently, her management had asked if they could delete all the old crap from before the album so that the album was the music available, and she thankfully disagreed.

Surprisingly small catalog - I was bopping along and then realized that the song was actually Blondshell - I apparently cruised through four songs by other artists without noticing that I was no longer listening to Suki, which bodes poorly for her distinctiveness.  Just one album - 2022's I Can't Let Go - and then some singles and an EP.  Here is that viral track - "Good Looking," with 199.6 million streams.

She admitted that the recording was "dodgy" and done in her apartment.  You can definitely tell.  Lotta kissing in that video, and then WTF is up with the blood?  Damn.  That was disturbing.  A comment claims that it was real - she accidentally stuck her hand in the fan as she was dancing around on the bed.  Usually, a video makes me like a song more, but that video did the exact opposite.  Nope.

None of her other songs come anywhere close to the success of that track, but "Moves," from the new album, tries the hardest with 21.4 million streams.

It is an odd thing - after powering through her catalog, my overall feel was that I liked the tunes.  But now, really paying attention to these two tracks, I find them annoying.  They feel overwrought and heavy-handed, trying to shove an emotional response at me or something.  I wasn't going to chose her anyway, The Walkmen and Sunrose are fun rock and roll, Morgan Wade is awesome and feels like a star on the rise, but I wouldn't go watch this one.

No comments: