Friday, July 19, 2024

Jonah Kagen

One Liner:  Poor man's Noah Kahan

Wikipedia Genre:  No Wikipedia - folk, indie rock, indie pop
Home: Savannah, GA

Poster Position: 17
Weekend Two Only.
Saturday at 12:05pm.

T-Mobile Stage.

Thoughts: Is my guy trying to be Noah Kahan or is it just me getting those feelings?  he took up the guitar at 6 years old, with his grandfather teaching him.  He says he found inspiration in guitarist Andy McKee, who I have not heard of.  McKee is apparently a "fingerstyle guitar" player who achieved viral fame with a series of YouTube videos showing his highly technical style.  Oh wow.  That is freaking cool stuff.  Fascinating.

Also fascinating, he played soccer for the Cornell Big Red and scored one goal as a senior.  Or at least I am going to assume that is him since that dude also lists a hometown of Savannah.  I really want more background information on people - I feel like a lot of these artists have nothing written about them!  Also confusing, another article I found said he is from South Carolina.  Where is it!?!  He shouts out Zach Bryan and Kahan as people who inspired him to open up in his music.

Lots of singles until 2022's georgia got colder, and then 2023's The Roads.  "broken," from that first album, is for sure the top track on his Spotify, with 67.3 million streams.

Ah man, I wanted to see him playing the guitar with some of those whackadoo moves like Andy McKee.  He is just strumming along.  Pretty song though.  He has a brand new track called "God Needs the Devil" that is pretty clever.  But I want to show you the title track to the newer album, which has 21.3 million streams.  He mentions that this is his favorite song to play.

Beautiful.  This may have been the one that made me think of Kahan.  The sound is very similar feeling.  Sometimes he goes way more in a pop direction - "barcelona" or "Moon" have a much less pleasing sound to me because they feel more like a crossover pop attempt.

Hard one for me for some reason.  I really like the ones that sound like Kahan, but I really dislike the pop stuff.  I guess I'd go check it out if the schedule breaks right.

No comments: