Monday, July 22, 2024

wave to earth

One Liner:  Really lovely South Korean indie pop/soft rock (that seems weird to be here)

Wikipedia Genre:  Indie Rock
Home: Seoul, South Korea

Poster Position: 11
Both Weekends.
Saturday at 5:20.

IHG Stage.

Thoughts:  What a weird band.  I find it fascinating that young kids would want to hear music like this, and yet they likely would never be caught dead listening to like Harry Connick Jr. or some other logical godfather to this style of lounge-y, jazzy, indie pop.  Just a strange thing about popularity.

I honestly really like the band name.  I'm imagining an alien flying by and just giving earth a little wave goodbye.  The band is South Korean, formed by two fellas when they were in middle school, and now consisting of three guys and a handful of studio/session musicians.  They apparently just completed a sold out North American tour, which is also fascinating.  I could very much see this being an enjoyable thing to like, study to or chill along with, but seeing it at a Festival wouldn't make a ton of sense to me.

A couple early EPs and singles, and then one 2023 album called 0.1 flaws and all.  I think they may be singing in Korean at times, or maybe I just can't understand the singer.  Unclear.  Their top track comes from the 2020 EP summer flows 0.02, and is called "seasons."  237 million streams.

A nice song, to be sure.  Lovely little melodies and a sleepy warm vibe.  This is reminding me of the Cigarettes After Sex thing that came to ACL last year, where their popularity just makes zero sense at all for something to come and play a mega stage at an outdoor festival.  The second biggest streamer is from the new album, "bad" has 146.9 million streams.

I'm sure these are big on TikTok or something.  They also definitely sound like some of the low-key songs from Harry Styles where he's just singing love songs in falsetto in between the good bops.  Again, a very pretty song that is like a calm float in a warm pool.  But yo no comprende watching it in a dusty field at 100 degrees.

I honestly enjoyed just letting this play all day - it is very good working music to just meander along in the background without any pizzazz or excitement.  I doubt I'd go see it!

No comments: