Wednesday, July 17, 2024

Say She She

One Liner:  Three classically trained singers over the top of Nile Rodgers funk

Wikipedia Genre:  Psychedelic soul
Home: Brooklyn

Poster Position: 12
Both Weekends.
Saturday at 3:10.

Miller Lite Stage.

Thoughts: Reading about them was way better than listening to them.  Wikipedia says this is self-described as discodelic soul with dreamy harmonies that prominently combines disco and 70's funk.  Which, that sounds dope!  But about two songs in, their voices are bothering me so very much.  Which is totally unfair, these are obviously very talented singers doing their thing, and the music is pretty funky, but it is bothering my brain anyway.

Two members met as neighbors in the same apartment building when they could hear each other practicing their singing - all three members of the band are classically trained singers.  They later met the third singer at a Harlem rooftop party and started making harmonies together.

I need to give you a song so that you can hear it.  I feel bad not loving it - I love psych and I love funk so this should work but something about it feels just wrong, like those people in theater who tried too hard to please the director, if that makes any sense.  Two albums - 2022's Prism and 2023's Silver.  Silver has most of their more popular songs, but the top streamer is the title track from Prism.  6.3 million streams.

The background tune is lovely.  Their voices are pretty and the harmonies locked in.  And yet I want to move on immediately.  Second-most streamed tune is from the newer disc - "Forget Me Not" with 3.6 million streams.

Yeah, those little trilly voices at the start of that one set me on edge for sure.  Definitely like that one less.  "Entry Level" is better, but "C'est Si Bon" makes me want to run away.  I am fully sure that everyone who goes to see this is going to love it and have the absolute best time, but I just cannot get there.

No comments: