Wednesday, July 3, 2024

Still Woozy (2024)

One Liner:  Mediocre electronic indie that reminds me of that awful "Gooey" song.

Wikipedia Genre: Indie pop, bedroom pop
Home: Oakland, CA

Poster Position: 5

Weekend One Only.
Saturday at 5:10.

Miller Lite Stage.

Thoughts:  Last here in 2019.  With that name, was really hoping for some drugged out rapper, not this dude making pretty basic indie electronic stuff.  I think I could make a great rap with that title - you can rhyme boozy, snoozy, floozy, cruisin', loosie, Lucy, truthy, ALL SORTS OF GOOD WORDS!  LISTEN UP LIL WAYNE, OTHER WORDS RHYME WITH BITCH, OTHER THAN BITCH!!!

Real name is Sven Eric Gamsky.  I gotta say that I really like the name Sven.  Messed up to have an S next to a V, but it sounds cool to me.  Strangely, his Wikipedia really gets into the fact that he was an Eagle Scout, going so far as to describe his Eagle project.  That is friggin' weird.  Back in high school, he won a battle of the bands thing with a group called Shoot for Roots, and later he was in another band called Feed Me Jack while at UC Santa Cruz (go Banana Slugs!).  He claims this band name came because of his spaced out nature.

He released his first single, "Cooks," in 2017, and Spotify stuck it on their Fresh Finds playlist, which catapulted him to semi-popularity.  Back in 2019, he still made tunes in his own garage, recording all of the instruments and patching them all together.  He also claims to release his songs within a day of being finished with them, not belaboring the track or mix.  His Spotify bio literally just says "Hii [sic] my name is Sven. Still Woozy is my solo project, and I record all parts in my garage/studio[.]"  Mmmkay.  And it has been that same thing since 2019 when I first looked at him.  Not working too hard at the game.

One real album, 2021's If This Isn't Nice, I Don't Know What Is, and then just a bunch of singles and a 5 song EP (released in 2019) called Lately.  His top track by a good bit is "Goodie Bag," a 2017 single release with 450.3 million streams (up from 32.6 million streams in 2019).
Kind of a lo-fi rap vibe - feels like it could be a joke song, but I can't actually find anything that appears to show that he is pranking with this, seems more like he's just goofy.  Sound - maybe his voice - is reminding me of that evil band that sings the "Gooey" song - Glass Animals.  Hate that freaking song.  Crap - now that I've attached this guy to those guys, I can't stand it.  Doh.

"Habit" is on the EP, and maintains its spot as his second-most streamed with 189.9 million.  In 2019, it had 12.0 million streams.
A little Alt-J, a little Glass Animals, and a lot of falsetto.  I actually like that one better.  The new album has some streams, but only one track breaks a hundred million.  "Window" fires up 136.5 million streams.
Meh.  I'm sure that was a pandemic tune and video, but I'm not loving the tune.  Nothing in there sticking with me.  I don't think I need to see this guy hit buttons on his laptop and then gently croon to me.

No comments: