Wednesday, August 26, 2026

Girlfriend

One Liner:  R&B action and a very difficult to Google moniker

Wikipedia Genre:  No Wikipedia, this is R&B
Home: L.A. (via Mississippi)

Poster Position: Bottom Quarter - Line 22.
Weekend Two Only. 
Friday at 3:30

BMI Stage.

Thoughts:  Well, this will be a short entry, because the band does not appear to exist yet.  When I search on Spotify, I get that Rebecca Black has an album named Girlfriend, and that Avril Lavigne, Matthew Sweet, and Michael Jackson all had songs named "Girlfriend."  Wikipedia lists that there is an Australian pop group and a South Korean pop duo who use that name, as well as an American girl group called The Girlfriends.  Oh no, wait.  Maybe this is it?  Really weird that the artist with this name would have been like 20 items down in Spotify's search, but there is an R&B lady who goes by Girlfriend?  One song in, and its not good!

If it is this person, this is Kenya Edwards, and she sings pretty standard R&B stuff.  it is sort of hard to find things written about her just because the searches bring up those other items I mentioned before that also use her name.

3 albums - 2022's Girlfriend (no song w more than 250k streams),  2025's It's Complicated (only seven songs for an album?), and 2026's Honey Water (no song more than 2 million streams).  Top track is from that 2025 album, "Emergency" has just over 5 million streams.

Sure, she has a nice voice and can do cool stuff with those notes, but R&B is just never the thing for me.  Feels like I've already heard a song just like this.  And I'm sure an R&B lover will tell me the same thing about rock songs, but this just isn't interesting for me.


No comments: