One Liner: Intense Irish folk music like Mumford got a better accent
Poster Position: Second Quarter - Line 9.
Weekend Two Only.
Apparently not coming anymore...
[location]
Thoughts: When I saw this name on the poster, I was certain that this was a repeat and this was a bluesy guitar hero type teenager. I have no idea who it was that I was thinking about, but this is very traditional-sounding Irish music like Amble from last year. Hooray for me!
Although, actually, after making it through their catalog and restarting today, they are different from Amble. Amble seemed more chilled. These guys feel more intense, like they are still playing Irish folk tunes, but the vocals feel like they are pushing and yearning and really trying to make sure that we know the extent of their emotional heft. Sort of like some of the Mumford & Sons songs. Like, "Bet on Beauty" sounds very much like a Mumford tune and I don't mean that as a slight, it is pretty enjoyable and rockin'.
Three members, Eddie, Eoghan, and Eoin, who met whilst studying engineering in Limerick. This feels like the setup for a limerick. "There once were three lads from Limerick..." They chose the band name after the kingfisher bird that frequently flies over their home region in Ireland. They are really beautiful birds.
Their one studio album (2025's Halcyon) went to #1 in Ireland and the lead single reached #1 and went four times platinum. This is "Killeagh," which very much sounds Irish. 63.3 million streams.
I mean, makes me want to stand on the shores of my country and fight hand in hand with my brothers for the soul of MY LAND!!! Apparently, the song was written as a half joke, with a friend asking one of the band members to write a song for the local Killeagh Gaelic Athletic Association club. They threw together a bunch of landmarks and connections to the local world, released it as a b-side, and then watched it go viral and eclipse all of their other music. Good stuff.
They have a new album slated to come out this year, and are dripping out songs as one does now. The top one so far is "The Blade" with 7.4 million streams.
"I've burned all my bridges, I've earned my degree, the darkness is all I have waiting for me." Lovely singing too. These guys are great. I'd absolutely go see it.
No comments:
Post a Comment