Thursday, July 18, 2019

BONES UK

One Liner:  Industrial pop rock ladies
Wikipedia Genre: No Wikipedia article, I'll say industrial, electronic, and rock
Home: Originally London, now LA

Poster Position: 18


Weekend One Only.


Thoughts:  Like a crappier, punk-industrial version of those people who sang that song about "I Love It" and how they crashed their car, or whatever.  Who was that?  Icona Pop.  That's the one.  This is way more guitar-forward, but it is definitely glossed up industrial pop that then gets roughed up with some rockin' guitar LIKKS!

One album, 2019's Bones UK, and only two songs made me look up with interest on the whole thing (a few others made me look up and cringe but then look back down to my work) - the cover of Bowie's "I'm Afraid of Americans" and the grossly dirty, but also kind of funny, "Girls Can't Play Guitar."  The thing I like most about the Bowie track is the guitar licks in there, which kind of rule.  Otherwise, it sounds like a cover created for the credits of a Disney movie about hacker kids who totally foil a Sasha Baron Cohen character's attempts to take over their small southern California town.  Well, except for the mention of "pussy," which maybe they'll edit out for the credits of Disney's HaCkErZ!

The top track is "Creature," with 4.1 million streams, despite this album only coming out on July 12.  Wait, which is today.  Soooo, ah yes, that song has actually been released as a single, and then as a track on all three of their 2019 EPs (all of which are just songs from this album).  I guess they really like this one.
I feel like, when I finally research these ladies, I'm going to find out that Simon Cowell went out and created the band by finding two models who could play along with his semi-generic rocker songs.  If they are really playing the axe over these beat things, then I take it back, because the guitar parts are actually pretty tasty.

The second top track is "Pretty Waste," with 1.2 million streams.  You may feel like I am not spending much time wording this up, and you are correct.  I just stopped what I was doing and said to myself - "let's finish this shit so that I can listen to something better."
Like NIN-lite for a bratty girl group.  Blerg.  I read an interview where they said that they wanted this band to invoke five words - black leather jackets, snakes, motorbikes, sex.  Which is actually six words, so I'll just leave out the jackets and use those five.

I mean, I ought to go easier on this - loud bass, crunchy guitar - this ought to be right up my alley, but something about it feels lab-created and contrived to be too cool, and it turns me off.

1 comment:

Joseph Cathey said...

Two Comments:

1. I loved "I Love It". I am not cool.

2. BONES BITCH!

What a stupid name for a stupid band.