Thursday, July 25, 2019

Patrick Droney

One Liner:  John Mayer-esque guitar and soft-blues-rock guy
Wikipedia Genre: No Wikipedia, soft-rock-blues
Home: Nashville

Poster Position: 23


Weekend One Only.


Thoughts: Only five songs available, all from a 2019 EP called Patrick Droney.  I feel like he could work on the last name and choose something a little more cool.  Droney makes me think this is going to be boring and sucky, and instead its quite good.

This piece about him says that he attended the Clive Davis school at NYU, and then received "major placements on TV shows."  It also says he had a self-titled debut that was released on August 3, which is either in the future or a past that is not in the same multiverse as my Spotify account.  But he started touring when he was 12, so dude has been going at it for a long while.

He says Eric Clapton is a hero, and I can see that in here, but I'd compare him much more closely to John Mayer with the guitar licks and that very similar vocal tone.

Top track for streams is "High Hope," with 4.4 million.
Gentle little soft-rock song, dripping in soul.  I like it.  I sort of wish that one of his songs would kick it into higher gear, instead of just always sticking with this laid back groove stuff.

I'll also give you the other top track, "Stand and Deliver," with 828k streams.
C'mon man, that light touch guitar work underneath most of the tune, his soft tenor in the chorus?  Totally John Mayer.

I'd give this a shot - sure he only has a few songs now, but he seems pretty talented and ready to blow it up.  Might be fun to get him before he's the next big thing.

No comments: