Wednesday, July 3, 2019

Laundry Day

One Liner: Boy band of high schoolers from NYC recreating the worst parts of Brockhampton
Wikipedia Genre: None, boy band R&B pop.
Home: NYC

Poster Position: 25


Weekend Two Only.


Thoughts:  God.  I know just how this is going to go.  I'm going to crap all over this mediocre boy-band crap, and then they'll turn into the next AJR and people will love them and they'll sell out the Moody theater for two nights in a row and I'll be revealed for the big dumb idiot I am.  But I've suffered through their top ten twice now, and although I want to be comprehensive and help you know all there is to know about bands, I am only a man.  Please don't make me listen to all three complete albums.  Please?

A search for them in Wikipedia brings up a really bad-looking 2016 movie of the same name that stars no one and includes "Rebecca Hollingsworth as the Texas Dancer," and now I kinda want to see the movie just to know what that means.

Three albums, two listed on Spotify as from 2018 (Trumpet Boy and Keep It Bright) and one from 2019, HOMESICK.  The overall vibe I get from these is kind of AJR, and also the R&B portions of Brockhampton (just never moving past those portions to the awesome rap parts, or the good beats, but getting stuck in the weird R&B interludes that kind of suck).  Lots of autotune.  Sort of a The 1975 vibe as well.

No tracks have more than a million streams, but the top one has a cool gimmick for the first half or so, with the sound of a lighter being flicked keeping time in the background.  This is "Lighter / Time," with 627k streams, from the 2018 album Trumpet Boy.
Starts out, and I'm like, oh, hey, that is kinda clever.  OK.  But then it ends up sounding like all the rest of their stuff, pretty generic soft R&B-ish stuff without much of any excitement or accompaniment.  I mean, I guess the lyrics are heartfelt, but it doesn't mean I want to hear the track itself.

Here is a THIRTY-FOUR MINUTE LONG VIDEO that people have watched over three thousand times, that is these five guys grooving and trying to make a song and piece it together while goofing around in their house.  They look like they are 16.

In fact, the guys are probably around 16 - they formed the band when they were freshman in high school, and all five of them are currently juniors at a New York high school.  Their band name apparently really does come from the term people use when they are dressed like crap because all of their good clothes are in the laundry.  This insane person said that if you like the Killers, Pixies, or Arctic Monkeys, you should like this band's music.  Which. Is. Insane.  

The top single right now is from the new album as well, and is called "Harvard."  488k streams.  I'll give you that one as well to finish up this thing and make it to where I don't have to hear this shit anymore.

Yes.  My guess is that these guys are going to blow up in a major way, and I'll be made to look foolish for hating on this, but no thanks.

1 comment:

Joseph Cathey said...

I assume this is how their songs go?

"It's Laundry Day! It's Laundry Day!
Gotta wash my britches, it's Laundry Day!
Got my suds ready, and my socks packed
Gonna clean my shit from front to back!
It's Laundry Day! It's Laundry Day!"