Monday, July 15, 2019

Julia Jacklin

One Liner:  Pensive indie folkie stuff very much like Big Thief from last year.
Wikipedia Genre: Art pop, indie folk, alternative country
Home: Sydney, Australia

Poster Position: 18


Both Weekends.


Thoughts: This one was bugging me big time, as I listened through her whole catalog while working today, without doing any initial research on her.  And as I listened, I couldn't shake the feeling that I had already heard this before - that this quiet, lovely, pensive, haunting folkie type of indie is something I've already reviewed.  But I couldn't come up with where I had heard it before.  Then I looked at Spotify for the "Fans Also Like" sidebar thing, and the second item on there is Big Thief, and that is exactly it - this sounds just like that band, which I reviewed last year for their ACL appearance.

Jacklin has nothing to do with that band - she is an Australian singer who just started touring in 2016 after two of her singles got picked up for airplay on the BBC, and Triple J (the Aussie public radio station that bangs the drum for good alternative music) nominated her as an Artists of the Year.  Her Wikipedia says that after graduating university, she worked in a factory making essential oils.  That is a job that would make me want to DIE.  All of those freaking smells.  I can barely walk past those bath bomb seller places without wanting to shove a fist up each nostril.  I can't imagine a whole factory.

Two albums - 2016's Don't Let the Kids Win (which is my motto in every game, and is sadly becoming more difficult as they age and become skilled) and 2018's Crushing.  Some bits have a surf sound on the guitar, while others start to lean into an alt. country sound, but the overall vibe stays mostly into the quiet indie world.  Her top single comes from that first album, called "Pool Party," with 6.3 million streams.
Feels like I am listening to a classic Patsy Cline track - full of longing and pining and gentle wistfulness.

Oh shit!  TINY DESK!
From 2017, so nothing in that performance from the new album.  Her voice is very great - sounds just fine with only her guitar helping her out.

So, from the new album, and sticking with her desires to party, apparently, this is "Pressure to Party," which actually takes her accompaniment up a notch.  But it still sounds like Big Thief but with rock and roll.
Yeah, that is another good one.  I like this stuff.  I'm not entirely sure how most of these songs will come off in a big festival crowd - seems like something that would be much more suited to a small room, but I might give it a shot if the schedule works out.

No comments: