Saturday, August 31, 2019

Sigrid (2019)

One Liner: Killer voiced Norweigian gal deserves more hype
Wikipedia Genre: Synthpop
Home: Alesund, Norway

Poster Position: 8


Both Weekends.

Thoughts:  I got to see her play a SXSW show at Bangers a few years back, and I recall coming away from it with two distinct observations.  First, that her mannerisms on the stage were oddly endearing and fierce.  She pokes at the air and cocks her head and slashes with her hands and struts around on the stage like she is spitting gangster rap lyrics.  Second, that her voice (and that of her backup singer) is fantastic.  Strong and pitch perfect.  I'll likely sound like an idiot here, since Adele has the most famous set of pipes in the world right now, but the acoustic versions of Sigrid's songs on her Spotify page bring Adele to my mind. She also reminds me of Carole King at times.

Sigrid is her real first name, but the rest of her name looks like an anagram.  Sigrid Solbakk Raabe.  A Bark Baker, Also?  She won the BBC Music Sound of 2018.  She's 22 now, but she got her start when she was more like 16.  She's opened for Maroon 5 and George Ezra.

One of her top tunes is the Kendrick Lamar-esquely named "Don't Kill My Vibe," a great kiss-off track with 52.2 million streams.

Oh, and I forgot to mention, she looks like she is 12 years old.  She's got another popular one called "Plot Twist" that is also kind of a harsh kiss off thing where she gets to yell "SHOTS FIRED!" throughout, but I want you to hear that other vibe, the more acoustic, less electro pop, song.  Here is "Dynamite," which is more in the area of 20.8 million streams.
You get the Adele comparisons with that one, right?  You could hear this one on 25 among the other piano ballads.  Regardless of whether she sounds like someone else, I know that she sounds freaking great.  You really should go see her do this stuff live, she's a trip to watch perform with her aggressive mannerisms and teenager looks.

One odd moment in listening to her top songs again - she had a cover of "Everybody Knows" that appears on the Justice League soundtrack.  All dark and angsty and ready made for BatFleck to glower over it.

She was supposed to be her in 2017, but pulled out of the Festival for some reason.  Since then, she has released her actual album (2019's Sucker Punch), but it still incorporates several of her hit tracks that have been out as singles for a while (like those two above).  I don't know why this pop music clicks with me so well, but she just seems exuberant and happy and it does the same for me.  It also includes her top streamer, which was originally released back in 2017, called "Strangers," which has 83.4 million streams.
Over 50 million views of that video.  And watch it - you can see what I meant about her hands and the slashes and pokes.  Kind of a cutesy voice at first, and then after that first voice, she girds her loins and kicks in for the chorus.  Oooooh, when the real chorus kicks in and the 80's called with their Madonna synth attack, I just about bounced out of my seat.  She really looks like she is having a ball - I know that is an image, but whatever!  I wanna have fun!  Hell yes.  Sign me up to groove to that stuff.  I'm gonna listen to that song nine more times right now.

After I was done with this post, but was still jamming the music because I like it, I wondered to myself if this is just like Robyn's music (that I was very lukewarm on) and if so, why do I like this better?  I don't have that answer, except maybe that I saw this one live and so she reminds me of something good.

No comments: