Tuesday, August 20, 2019

The Aquadolls

One Liner:  Surf rock like Best Coast listened to the Breeders
Wikipedia Genre:  No Wikipedia, will call it mermaid rock
Home: L.A.

Poster Position: 23


Both Weekends.


Thoughts: Weird band.  At first, I was going with a full-on Breeders comparison, but then they have a lot of surf guitar too, and now they are throwing some Cure guitars at me ("The Mess" - that one also makes me think of Moving Panoramas, or the guitar plus synths in "Burns2ash"), some punk freakout ("Sick Sad Motherfuck"), and Best Coast ("Don't Mean Jack").  I generally like it - I've stuck around listening to them all day when normally I would have given it a few runs through the catalog and moved on.

No Wikipedia, and pretty limited other stuff on the web, but I can tell that they are from a place called La Mirada, California.  Which is part of the greater LA area, so they are automatically obnoxious for making it seem as though they are from some other fancy place when they are really just from LA.  Their website says that they released an early EP in 2013 and then a full length in 2014, and then "made a comeback" in June 2018.

The 2014 album is definitely a looser, surf-rock-ish thing, almost as if Nirvana's Bleach was made into surf rock.  There is also a dude singing on a bunch of these tracks (or at least that sounds like a dude), when the band appears to be just four ladies.  So maybe they dropped him to the curb before their big comeback.  This album boasts their top track, with "Out Love Will Always Remain" at just under one million streams.
Yeah, nice little track - nothing too groundbreaking or off the reservation, just some nice harmonies and strummed guitar.  The top track overall right now is off of their new album, a 19 song mess of a disc, and is confusingly called "Communicationissexy/Idkhowtocommunicate"
This is where I was on the Breeders thing.  And its another nice little rock and roll tune.  I dig this stuff well enough to put them on my maybes list of tunes I'd go check out.

No comments: