Friday, August 16, 2019

Stone Wheels

One Liner:  Jam band country
Wikipedia Genre:  No Wikipedia, will call it jam band country
Home: Austin, Texas

Poster Position: 23


Weekend One Only.


Thoughts: Does anyone know what jam band voice is actually called?  I searched on Google for all of eight seconds and couldn't find any answer, but there is something weird with jam bands where their vocals tend to have this softened delivery, not quite like whispering, but it has like a smoothed rasp that makes it sound like it is a little whispery.  So weird.  Obviously not done by every jam band, but I definitely hear it more in that world than elsewhere.  Like that odd pop girl voice that everyone is doing now (including my daughter).

Very Grateful Dead-ish vibe here, in the way that the Dead sometimes hung their hat on a Bakersfield country sound and ran with it.  Sometimes the sound is more country, sometimes it is more jam.

Only one album - 2018's eponymous Stone Wheels.  I'll give you one guess what the first song is called.  You give up?  Yep, "Stone Wheels."  They super dig that cool name they came up with, man.  The vast majority of their songs don't crack the 1,000 stream level, so these guys aren't blowing the doors off the music world just yet.  I'm sure its on the way.  Their top track is actually a single from 2015 and isn't on their album at all.  "Settle for Satisfied" has 4,833 streams (and I'm probably 8 of those today alone).  Buuut, no video on YouTube for that one.  Likewise, "Long Way Home," which is their second most streamed with 2,162, also doesn't have a video.

What they do have?  A live shot of "Everchanging You" from an Oskar Blues live show.  So, that is what you get!
Some crowd noise, but you get the idea.  More jammy than country on that one, but believe me, they have some country bits on the album.  "Raise a Glass" has a cool, chilled out vibe.  I like that one.

I kind of doubt I'll see this one, but if I'm there early enough, and nothing super great is up against them, then sure.

No comments: