Tuesday, August 29, 2023

Blakchyl

One Liner:  Local female rapper without many streams but some good flow.

Wikipedia Genre:  No Wikipedia, but rap/hip-hop
Home: Austin

Poster Position: 5 (23) 
Weekend Two Only.
Saturday.

Thoughts:  Huh.  Most of her tracks feature male rappers, and so this whole time I thought she was a dude rapper, until I starting reading about her.  Real name is Te'aunna Moore, and she was actually born and raised in Austin.  She started writing rhymes in 7th grade.  She grew up on East 10th, so maybe she went to Zavala Elementary and Martin Junior High like I did.  That would be sort of cool, even though it would be just about the only thing I have in common with a black, queer, woman artist.

The Chronicle explains part of her backstory like this: "A crucial part of Blakchyl's story began in October 2007 when she joined the Cipher ATX, a nonprofit organization co-founded by her first mentor, Chris "Gator" Ockletree, and social worker Shannon Sandrea. The Cipher aimed to bring in high schoolers from underprivileged Austin areas under a unifying umbrella of hip-hop. Moore met Gator – an Eastside rapper from the local group Public Offenders – in a beatmaking class he instructed during her freshman year. Then determined to become a DJ/producer, Moore says he convinced her to take rap more seriously."  AT the time, she was nicknamed T-Fly.

A couple albums, a couple EPs, although the most recent album is with G.E.N.I.U.S., Nez tha Villian, and some other folks.  So hard to know what is what when things are going down (although after listening a few more times, I think it is pretty obvious when the female voice is happening).  Pretty sure she samples Andre 3000 in "Street Lightz."  Part of the beat to "Give Myself" sounds like part of a beat to an Outkast song.  "Rhythm N Blues" interpolates some Lauryn Hill.

Streaming numbers are non-existent.  Only one song in her Spotify has listed playcounts - "DDD" with 3,444.

Also features people maybe named tasi and cerbere.  Pretty chill track - I like the laid back background.  mmmmm Sam's Barbeque.  Yummy.  I like that she raps with a mouthful of beans.  The weird French guy popping up in the end is a strange move.  Although, as I listen again, French sounds pretty dope in rap.  I think that Guru Jazzmatazz album influenced me on that opinion.

Like I said, no other stream counts to grab for best thing, so let's just go with her most recent track - "SomethingThatYouNeeded."  Zero streams.  Released July 7, 2023.  This is with a dude named TheRott.
Another good, chilled out beat.  Terrible video though.  And TheRott has a boring flow - not that I have a flow at all or anything - but I am enjoying the sound that Blakchyl is laying down.  I doubt I'd go watch this one, but it is cool to have an Austin rapper making good tunes.

No comments: