Saturday, August 5, 2023

Nessa Barrett

One Liner:  Awful TikTok pop with overly affected voice and a death fascination

Wikipedia Genre: Pop, pop rock, alternative rock
Home: New Jersey

Poster Position: Level 3 (9) 
Both Weekends.
Friday.

Thoughts:  Man, I am just back from a week and a half of vacation in Colorado, so maybe I am just in a bad mood because it is hot as balls back in Austin, but these artists are bugging the crap out of me.  The last guy was annoying, this gal is annoying.  Why can't the whole Festival just be perfectly suited to me?

Her voice is seriously sending me into little hissy fits of pity for myself.  So contrived and whispery/vocal fry-ey/pop-star-pinched.  One of my daughters now knows how to bug the crap out of me by adding little "oaayy" sounds onto the end of any word when she sings because she knows how much I hate that sound.  "Woah-aye, say-aye can-aye you-aye see-aye!"  Let's get this over with.

Janesa Jaida Barrett is a 20 year old from New Jersey.  Wikipedia claims that her father is a rapper, actor, and motivational speaker, but he has no Wikipedia page of his own, so I am thinking he may not be doing those things around the house.  She started by posting videos on TikTok in 2019, which led to an actual recording contract with Warner Brothers (wtf?!?!). From a Variety article: "After posting a few clips of her singing on TikTok, Warner Records reached out, and eventually signed her. In July, her debut single, “Pain,” was released. The piano-based ballad puts Barrett’s haunting vocals and lyricism on full display. Barrett says she sat down and wrote the song at the piano during a session when she wasn’t “feeling it,” and the original version came out to be 30 minutes long."  What in the world?  Warner Brothers just signing up someone with a few clips of singing?  Weird world, man.

 She has struggled with depression, borderline personality disorder, suicide attempts, and eating disorders.  Which sounds awful.  I'm sorry I talked shit about your voice.  Also, and I am not talking shit, but she is 4'11" and apparently has insecurity about her height.  She has dated another recent ACL artist (who also sucked) named Jxdn.

One album - 2022's young forever.  Top track features Jxdn - "la di die" with 146 million streams.

Generic ass, super lame "rock" backing for the chorus, combined with her annoying ass voice, means I don't like it at all.  Oh God, and then Jxdn kicked in, and what an awful song.  Just terrible crap.  I'm sure my girls have made multiple TikTok videos to it.  Second-most-streamed is "die first," with 127.6 million streams.

Apparently very into the death thing.  Depressing and selfish song, wanting to die first to leave your loved one alone because you don't want to deal with that.

If you love this gal, I hope that she crushes it for you at the Festival and you can brag to me later that she is the next big thing who is going to make Olivia and Taylor look pedestrian in comparison.  But for me, this is a very hard no.  Please make it stop.

No comments: