Monday, August 14, 2023

Pony Bradshaw

One Liner:  Solid singer-songwriter type who I couldn't quit listening to.

Wikipedia Genre:  No Wikipedia, but I'll go with Americana
Home: North Georgia

Poster Position: 5 (23) 
Weekend Two Only.
Saturday.

Thoughts:  At first, this felt like a pretty straight-forward country-adjacent singer-songwriter, but the more I listened, the more it started to reel out into some nice jammy flavors.  The name is goofy, but the tunes have me sucked in.  His voice reminds me of someone - it's not Hal Ketchum but that is the cog my brain keeps slipping on when I try to come up with the classic guy he reminds me of.  And the more I listen the more I like - I've gone through his whole catalog a few times by now and it's nice stuff.

Prior to being a musician, he was a sportswriter for a local newspaper, and then decided to give full-time music a shot.  He didn't even pick up a guitar until he was 25, but he had always written tunes.  The article I read said he was "raised in East Texas," but it doesn't give the town.  he tried out multiple colleges, ending up at the Air Force Academy before getting kicked out for underage drinking and fighting.  Real name is James Bradshaw, and now he is settled in Georgia.

One big song, from 2019's Sudden Opera, is "Van Gogh."  19.7 million streams.

That was his debut album, and it sounds like COVID nailed him down right afterwards, just when his career should have been launching on the back of that disc.  "10x10" from the disc is also really good.  Since then, he has released 2021's Calico Jim and then 2023's North Georgia Rambler.  That new album has a few really good tunes as well, including this one called "Go Down, Appalachia."  791k streams.

The guitarwork on that is really good as well.  Makes me want to tap my foot and holler.  Sometimes, his voice sounds like a young Lyle Lovett.  I'd absolutely go check this out, I really enjoyed it for a few days (and got behind on my other reviews!).

No comments: