Sunday, August 6, 2023

Little Simz

One Liner: Fantastic rapper with a chill vibe but some tough lyrics

Wikipedia Genre: British hip hop (didn't know that was a genre!)
Home: London

Poster Position: Level 3 (7) 
Both Weekends.
Weekend One - Friday; Weekend Two - Sunday.

Thoughts: I have been hoping that she would be coming to ACL for a few years, so I was pumped to see her make the cut this year.  Simbiatu "Simbi" Abisola Abiola Ajikawo is British-Nigerian, born in Islington, London in 1994.  I didn't hear about her until the 2021 album Sometimes I Might Be Introvert, so until just now I had no clue about her earlier albums.  but she actually got started in 2015 and had already released three other albums before Introvert won her the 2022 Mercury Prize and several other awards over in England.

Her stuff is rap, but you can tell that her biggest influence is Lauryn Hill, because she adds in a lot of singing among the rapping.  Surprisingly, at least to me, her top track is actually from the 2019 album GREY Area.  I figured her more recent albums, with all of their critical acclaim, would be bigger.  This is "Venom," with 117 million streams.

Much grimier, harder, tougher than her later stuff.  This is a young lady dropping bodies with lyrics and ready to back up her tough talk.  You'll see, this is not the sound that she goes with on the big hits after a few years.  Here are my prior reviews of those two newer albums:

Little Simz - Sometimes I Might Be Introvert.  This album has been an earworm for me for a while now.  Can't get enough of it.  It's weird, not a straight-forward rap disc at all, and it's not perfect, but I really can't quit it.  From the power horns of "Introvert," to the laid back chill of "Woman," to the soul-sampling funk of "Two Worlds Apart," the opening of the disc is excellent.  Well, and then the next song breaks out like it's a James Bond theme song before the beat drops.  Fun stuff.  The top track is "Woman," with 12.6 million streams [now up to 30.7].

Her flow just makes me so happy.  Sounds like someone just having a good time and hoping that you do the same.  I also have grinned at the voice mail outro repeatedly.  PICK UP THE PHONE!  "Point and Kill" is also a fun one - digs into her African background (she is British-Nigerian) with a good groove.  The wild thing is that this is her fourth album!  Never heard of any of it until now.  Good on her.  I haven't been able to quit this album so I'll let it hang around.

Little Simz - NO THANK YOU.  I was super bummed last year when Simz announced that she couldn't go forward with her world tour because the costs were just too high.  I had wanted a chance to see her do this thing in person.  Hopefully, since I have seen her on a few festival posters, she'll head to Austin and throw it down.  She just has a great cadence to her flow, a confidence and tone that is really appealing to me.  She never gets loud, or excited, or over-the-top, she just cruises along over some relatively relaxed beats, telling stories and being imminently relatable.  The big track is the one I hear on the local radio every once in a while - "Gorilla" - with 8.5 million streams [now up to 10.3].

Those horns bust out like it's about to blow up, but then the beat slides in with a little wink and she starts off by citing Beenie Man.  That bopping little bass line and loopy violin bit is just excellent.  She just comes off as chill and fun and interesting.  I don't think she is saying anything much in that track (unlike some of the others where she rails against the music biz) but it just sounds so chill!  Good disc to just bob along to and enjoy.

A Tiny Desk!  Hooray for the Tiny Desk!

6 years ago, so before the glow up of her recent albums.  I definitely like the newer version of her style, but honestly she's had this flow since the get go.  The old albums are good too.  If you want to watch a 40 minute documentary about her from this year though, here you go!

Shit looks tiring for her, but a lot of fun for the crowd!  I'd absolutely go to this one if it works out.  She's more important to me on the poster than a bunch of the bigger names.

No comments: