Wednesday, June 5, 2024

Barry Can't Swim

One Liner:  Jazzercise lives on because guys like this keep making music

Wikipedia Genre:  Electronic, dance, jazz
Home: Edinburgh, Scotland

Poster Position: 9
Weekend One Only.
Friday at 6:30.

Tito's Tent.

Thoughts:  Man, I was really hoping for something good with this band name.  Like, that sounds like some punk band who is making fun of their ex-drummer with this band name who has a bunch of great raucous songs about how much Barry sucks.  Instead, it is super generic electronic dance music.  I have work I need to get done, but after about an hour of this playing in here, I just need to write the review so that I can move on and quit being embarrassed for myself that I am listening to this.

Joshua Mainnie is from Edinburgh, Scotland, and his first album came out last year leading to a nomination for Best Dance Act at the 2024 BRIT awards.  Something called Clash Magazine gave it a 9 out of 10, describing it as "varied, zeitgeisty and just plain fun."  Which, yuck.  Also, if you listen to the album, I dare you to listen for the variance.  I don't hear it.  Wikipedia says he is a supporter of Everton F.C.  Which is such a funny detail to add to a Wikibio.

"How It Feels," from that 2023 album, is his top song with 21.4 million streams.

I have heard that song three times now and still couldn't recall anything about it.  If you told me it was a new Disclosure song, or a 10 year old Diplo song, or something by Barry Sucks Ass, I would believe you on all three accounts.  Let's check out his newest single so that you can see the evolution of his sound from 2023 to 2024.  "Kimbara" has 1.4 million streams.

I guess the evolution is to find space for gibberish vocals instead of just the lady singing uninteresting platitudes over the beats.  I mean, I'm being a dick here.  That song is very groovy and very danceable and I can see if being very fun to jam out to in the park - if I just take off my obnoxious critical hat and let myself go, that is a fun tune.  But I will not go see this guy do his thing unless the schedule is very cruel.

No comments: