Friday, March 23, 2018

Lollapalooza 2018 Announced!



I know this news is like 3 days old by now, but I got busy with work and play and whatnot, so you'll just have to enjoy my thoughts now.  I'll get deeper into what this lineup means for ACL in a later post, but need to run through this with an eye for Lolla on its own merit.

First impression?  Gross.  Travis Scott is garbage.  Post Malone is awful.  Lil Uzi Vert is trash.  Why is that on this poster at all, much less on the top three lines?  Those guys are not talented and have a hit or two that people won't even remember in a few years.  The Weeknd is legit talented - very good singer - but I want nothing to do with him.  I tried out his show in Austin a few years ago and it suuuuuucked.  On the other hand, I bet a Bruno Mars show would be freaking fun, and I love me some Jack White (although I'm not so sure about the new album), and the Arctic Monkeys are great.  So there are good things at the top of this bill, but I'd honestly be disappointed if this was the lineup in Austin.

I've seen Vampire Weekend a few times, and they are really fun.  I wonder if they'll release new music?  Logic has some fun tunes, and Khalid is great.  I've never cared much for The National, but I know that I am in the minority there.  Love Chvrches.  Catfish & the Bottlemen are awesome.  Rainbow Kitten is very good.  Want to see Greta Van Fleet.  Dig Franz Ferdinand.  And then the list gets real weird.  Most of the bands below the fold I've never heard of or they came to ACL recently so I recall them (Lizzo, Big Wild, etc.) from that experience.  My God, what the hell are these bands?  Cky?  Space Jesus?  Blackgummy?  Kuuro?  Cleopatrick?  Oshi?  Gashi?  Its like a Japanese computer was asked to create band names in English.

Very heavy on the new rap and, to the extent I know who these people are, some light electronic stuff.  No more mega EDM stuff, but Odesza, Zedd, and Excision will keep the dance kids happy before the Weeknd show kicks off.  Very little country that I recognize (and Luke Combs kinda blows), very little in the way of old school legacy artists (LL Cool J, maybe Jack White qualifies by now?).  Still can't get over the Weekdn and Bruno Mars as the top two artists for freaking Lolla.  Please don't let that be the case in Austin...

[EDIT] - apparently ticket sales are pretty slow.  Attributed to several factors, including a "stale lineup."  I had no clue that Bonnaroo tickets were off so hard, that is not a good sign.

No comments: