Thursday, February 22, 2024

Quick Hits, Vol. 330 (Zach Bryan, Turnpike Troubadours, Janelle Monae, Soul Glo)

Zach Bryan - Zach Bryan.  I've written way too much about this guy already.  He is truly fascinating to me, and mainly because he is so basic.  And yet he is MASSIVELY popular.  I enjoy some of his songs, and the last time I saw him play live I thought he was amazing.  But his musical output is insanely prolific, where it feels like he just releases any and all songs that pop into his head in a constant stream.  My 15-year-old said that she loves that, it is one of the reasons he appeals to her so much.  Whereas, I think a little discretion and trimming would be a powerful way to hone his stuff into the best it can be.  Some songs aren't good enough.  Some vocal cuts were pretty rough.  But hey, he's the one making millions and I'm just a schlub with a keyboard, so what do I know.  This album opens with a deep spoken word track where you can tell that he really likes the way it sounds to say that fear and Friday has got awful lot in common they're overdone and glorified and always leave you wantin'.  And he's boasting some major collaborators this time, with Kacey Musgrave, the Lumineers, The War and Treaty, and Sierra Ferrell on here.  My girls play that War and Treaty song a lot around our house, but the Kacey one is the big hit for the album for sure.  "I Remember Everything" with 240.8 million streams.
Good imagery in the opening stanza, even as the music and song itself is completely bare.  I like "El Dorado," it has a little more shine and polish than some, including a good guitar solo.  I also like the way he pronounces Eldorado, like my mom's home town and not like the fish.  The lyrics are why you're here though, because he writes great lines (even if he can get trope-y and clunky here and there).  I think the high point of the album is the chorus of "Hey Driver" with the War And Treaty guy belting those lines.  And "Fear and Fridays" is fun because it feels like a jam session with his buddies, instead of a dour inspection of his feelings.  But yeah, I think a real studio and real producer and someone to help him hone would really be welcome here.

Turnpike Troubadours - A Cat in the Rain.  I needed to dig into these guys anyway, they are coming to the Two Step Inn next April.  I remember liking some of their older albums, but they've definitely fallen off of my radar over the years.  I think this album is really good - polished in a way that I wish old Zach would do!  Like, the second song, "Brought Me" is super clean and tuneful with great harmonies.  Has an almost Irish/country vibe that is really comforting.  The opening track is the top streamer though, with 8.1 million streams.  "Mean Old Sun."
I like that lean into the banjo, kind of an aggressive tune to open the album that otherwise is not an aggressive-sounding collection of songs.  And their look is interesting.  Lead singer is straight country, then the rest look like they repair cars on the side.  Good tune though.  Whole album is good - these guys sound like the next evolution of the Texas country sound.

Janelle Monae - The Age of Pleasure.  I love me some Monae.  Whether it is her music, her acting, her wild outfits and random nakedness.  She just seems amazing.  I've gotten to see her play live three times and it was an amazing experience.  She combines an amazing voice with a ton of showmanship that crushes what a lot of other people do on stage.  This album sticks with exactly what I expect from her, in that it is super fun and sexual and off-the-wall.  Much of it has a smooth chill, but with a sensual and odd vibe, but then others are more party songs like "Champagne Shit."  I really enjoy it.  Just the imagery of her wanting sticky lipstick kisses on her neck makes me happy for some reason (even though I hate lipstick!).  The opener is the top track, which usually means that the album is not that popular because everyone tried the first song and then ran for it, but I'mma give it to you anyway.  "Float" with 13.6 million streams.
I am the wrong guy to ask where all of those styles and rhythms come from - this is like Africa, Queens, Jamaica, and every other fun place in the world came together to create a triumphant anthem.  "I don't walk, I don't dance, I just float."  And if you know me, you know I love this runtime.  A tight 32 minutes leaves me wanting more and not tired of some bloated mess of too many mediocre songs.  Just give me the jams and move along.  Good stuff.

Soul Glo - Diaspora Problems.  I can't recall why this album landed into my queue, but I freaking hate it.  Whoever suggested it to me hates me very much.  I couldn't finish it because it was melting the insides of my mind and making me consider pouring lava into my ears.  I am fascinated by the fact that even the lowest streamed track on here has 269k, so probably the whole album has been played that many times, which is concerning for those people.  Top track is "Gold Chain Punk (whogonbeatmyass?)" with 1.6 million streams.  I gotta say, both the band name and that song name freaking rule, but get a load of this.
And that might be the most tuneful of what I heard.  Not my thing.

No comments: