Tuesday, March 25, 2025

Two Step Inn 2025: Sunday Schedule and Thoughts

Well, this really ought to be a good time.  I am really looking forward to Alan Jackson, I am just so very hopeful that he is able to really do a show and isn't going to struggle!  This format will be like I have done in the past for ACL lineups - the links will take you to my more complete review of the artist at issue, and the bit next to the link will be my short one-liner about the band or artist.  Hope it is helpful! 


12:00/12:15

Big River   
Maggie Antone: Varied selection of cover tunes turned into a nice little country set
Pony Up 
The Droptines: Alt-country and good lyrics are still alive and well
Showdeo
Waylon Wyatt: Acoustic and a holler from an Arkansas kid who looks up to Zach Bryan

I generally liked all three of these, but I think if forced to choose, I'd go see the pride of the Frio River valley and check out The Droptines.

1:00/1:30/1:40

Big River (1:30) 
Tanner Usrey: Really great, low-key Americana guy in the vein of Zach Bryan
Pony Up (1:00)
Vincent Mason: Another newcomer making country with rock edges
Showdeo (1:40)
Willow Avalon: Cutesy country with too much tremolo affectation for my tastes

Usrey is my choice in this slot for sure.  

2:15/2:45/3:00

Big River (3:00) 
Treaty Oak Revival: Way more Walmart rock than country
Pony Up (2:15)
The Panhandlers: A mediangroup making seriously great Texas-centric country tunes
Showdeo (2:45)
Aaron Tippin: Jingoistic 90's country classics

Actually a tough hour.  All three of these have things about them that I like and would enjoy seeing.  I guess I'd angle to The Panhandlers, but could see choosing either of the other two as well.  I guess really, with their staggered times, I could see two of them...

4:00/4:30

Big River (4:30) 
Nelly: THE St. Louis Rapper, as far as I'm concerned, with loads of hits you know (and a new country angle that is depressing)
Pony Up (4:00)
Stephen Wilson Jr.: Eclectic country/rock sound that grew on me
Showdeo (4:00)
Sammy Kershaw: "She Don't Know She's Beautiful" plus some other classics from the 90's

Kershaw all the way for me.  If you could guarantee me that Nelly was only going to play the best hits and not veer into his new trash?  Maybe.  But I feel like I am at this festival to see the cheese from the 90's back on stage.  Although, now that I think about this day, there are really only two classic country artists on this whole day.  That is sort of a bummer - maybe they used them all up in the last two years!

5:30



Pony Up
Braxton Keith: Young guy doing classic-sounding Nashville country
Showdeo
Shane Smith & The Saints: Damn fine Texas-centric country

Yeah, I think I'll see Shane Smith here.  Keith has some good tunes, but I'd lean towards a Texas-centric show any day over Nashville sound.

6:30

Big River Stage: Ryan Bingham and the Texas Gentlemen.  Rough-edged voice in between Steve Earle and Paul Westerberg making great rock-tinged Americana

I guess after they shafted the entire world last year by cancelling his show entirely during the rainstorm, they decided to make it especially difficult to see him this year since everyone will go to this stage as he is the only thing playing during this hour.  Cool Cool Cool.

7:30



Pony Up
Ole 60: Unpolished southern rock with a country tilt
Showdeo
Lynyrd Skynyrd: Southern rock kings (or at least their name)

Sorry, Ole 60.  You drew the short straw here for sure, as I plan to yell along with all of the best hits from Skynyrd.

HEADLINER (8:30):
Big River Stage: Sturgill Simpson (as Johnny Blue Skies).

No comments: