One Liner: I'm a sucker for an Irish singer/songwriter type...
Poster Position: Last Quarter - Line 20
Sunday at 2
BMI Stage
Thoughts: The first stanza of his first song made me grin, as he is singing about not being able to understand how to work a washing machine. But I am also a sucker for an Irish accent, especially later when he has a song that sounds like he is recounting the history of his family. SIGN ME UP for hearing a lilting Irish brogue sing about leaving the mines to sign up for the Royal Dublin Fusiliers (an infantry division of the British Army, unpopular in Ireland because some saw it as fighting for the wrong side, as Ireland was fighting for independence). "John's Song." "Does my sister still resent me, now that I must wear the rose? ... With all my love, your fond son John." Gave me goosebumps hearing it again and then I wanted to tear up at the end for the epilogue. Hell yeah Aaron.
When you look up this name in Wikipedia, you get an English professional soccer player who most recently played for Gillingham. Which is not helpful, but there is a very tiny Wikipedia article about the correct Rowe - here is the entire entry: "Aaron Rowe is an Irish singer-songwriter and musician from Dublin. He is best known for his debut single, "Hey Ma", as well as his second and third singles, "Talking with You" and "Lose Lose". His debut EP, Exodus, was released in September 2025. In 2026, he released three songs: "Please Don't Hate Me", "John's Song" and "Hollywood Sign". He actually has two whole more songs than are in that list - "Drawing the Line" and "The Lane" are also on that 2025 EP, but apparently are uncool for whoever wrote that Wikipedia entry.
He sort of makes me think of a guy who did well on The Voice or American Idol. Very strong voice, and sometimes he will do some vocal freakouts to prove how controlled he can be with hitting notes with power. But overall, I find his tunes to be relaxing and enjoyable. In two weeks, he is apparently opening for Ed Sheeran (and Macklemore? Is Macklemore still a thing?) in Philly. So he is getting some notoriety anyway...
The biggest streamer is "Hey Ma," which is a great Bon Iver song. 3.6 million streams for the Irishman's tune.
I wanna go to Ireland and see those horsies! Some friends just went to Dublin last weekend to watch TCU suck mondo butt against UNC for the first game of the season, and I was pretty jealous of them taking that trip. Ireland is dope and I haven't been in like 21 years. Lovely little song. I hope he had a nice trip to the States. And even though the stream count isn't up there yet, I want you to hear "Hollywood Sign" because it is the new single. 390k.
I am guessing that is autobiographical about him moving to LA to give the music a shot. Poignant and sad. I'd hang out with you in L.A., buddy! You don't have to just drink a coke on the railing of a crappy C-Store!
I'd go watch this.
No comments:
Post a Comment