Sunday, June 23, 2019

Night Cap

One Liner: Alt. rock with a slight jammy tilt coming from Austin.
Wikipedia Genre: No Wikipedia, gonna say alternative rock.
Home: Austin, Texas

Poster Position: 21


Weekend One Only.


Thoughts:  My first impression from their most popular song is The Revivalists.  Their website has some odd little introductions from each band member, and from reading those it sounds like most of these guys met at UT.  I dig the drummer, his cheesy picture, and his love for the Queens of the Stone Age.  

No actual album, just a handful of singles and a five song EP from 2018.  Their initial release is their most popular by a long ways, and for good reason - its good.  This is "Everest," with 714k streams.
Kind of a nice funk, to go with a light, sweet sound in the guitar and vocals.  That is actually a great song.  Shades of The Revivalists, Rainbow Kitten Surprise, or Kings of Leon.

The tunes on their 2018 EP hew to that same sort of sound, and I like this pretty well as well.  Unfortunately, their most recent song, 2019's "Cheap Thrills" polishes off the fun edges of those sounds and goes with a more radio-friendly pop rock sound including the background woooooooooos to go with it.  Still a smidge jammy, and still some funkiness to it, but something about the cleanliness of the sound is less appealing.
Although, I do like the crunch at the end.  I don't know, listening again I'm less turned off than I was after two initial streams.

I like this band.  I'd go check them out.

No comments: