Wednesday, June 12, 2019

Shura

One Liner: Perfectly pleasant electronic indie pop songs for making out to.
Wikipedia Genre: Electropop, synth-pop, alternative pop, new wave
Home: Hammersmith, England

Poster Position: 15


Both Weekends.


Thoughts:  I hate when I unintentionally get into a rut on the poster - right now I feel like I'm in an indie R&B zone (and I'm very tired of it).  The word "shura" is an arabic word for consultation, which is apparently an important action to provide representative democracy to the people.  Wikipedia also notes that there are several uses for the term, such as a 1971 Japanese film, a character in the Soul series of fighting games, a Russian rural locality, a Russian singer, and an English singer.  Being that the Russian singer is a bald white dude who looks like he might have a WHITE POWER tattoo on his knuckles, I'm going to guess this is the English singer.  (also, the Wikipedia article for the Russian guy says he has no front teeth.  I am very nervous about this man.)

Alexandra Lilah Denton is from Hammersmith, England, and I want to be from that same cool-sounding place.  She apparently got her start by watching YouTube tutorials on how to use music production software, and then self-recorded some electronic tunes.  She was named to the BBC Sound of 2015 list, and issued her only album in 2016 called Nothing's Real.  The top track from that album is "Touch," with 18.1 million streams.  Most of the rest of the album is in the 7 figure stream range.
Simple little tune, but its nice.  Dreamy, sparse, but still catchy and kinda groovy.  That video of people making out is kind of fun too.  After that one album, she has a ton of remixes and singles and whatnot.  

The album starts off trippy, and then shoots right into some disco pop party stuff on the title track.  Then I catch flavors of The 1975's 80's pop redux stuff, and HAIM's poppy good times indie.  And Janet Jackson actually is sticking in my brain - "2Shy," all feathery falsettos over a low key beat is making me think of some Miss Nasty.

Then she released a new single on April 10, maybe previewing a new album to come, that tracks in the same vein.  Chill, spare, relaxed vibe music.  This is "BKLYNLDN," which is apparently spoken as Brooklyn London.  1.4 million streams.
Sounds like sexytime boning music.  Light a few candles, fire up this modern Janet Jackson shit, and make some magic happen.  

This is perfectly pleasant music, seems nice and like it would be pleasant to make sweet love to it.  I don't think I want to see it live though.

No comments: